Win2K Failure to Boot Up

Just did a full W2K professional reinstall into a 20G partition on a fairly
new Seagate 80G hard drive. Partition is FAT32. Ran fine for quite a few
boot cycles, and turned machine back over to my Daughter. She brought it up
the following morning, then went away to eat breakfast. While unattended, it
went into BSOD, with a message she didn't record. When she restarted, she is
now getting:

"Disk I/O error: status = 00001000"

"Windows 2000 could not start because the following is missing or corrupt:
<Windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above."

What is cause? Should I just download a copy of ntoskrnl and reinstall it?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Could be a hard disk failure. Boot the machine with your
Win2000 CD, get into Repair/Recovery console and check
the condition of the disk.

BTW, seeing that you have a Win2000 PC, would it
not be apppropriate to post this item in a Win2000
newsgroup (public.win2000.general)?

In essence, run CKDSK or the Recovery Console equivalent?

Didn't even think about the fact that it was a W2K question in the XP
Newsgroup. I run XP, my Daughter still on W2K. Sorry.

Rock

Stephen said:
Just did a full W2K professional reinstall into a 20G partition on a fairly
new Seagate 80G hard drive. Partition is FAT32. Ran fine for quite a few
boot cycles, and turned machine back over to my Daughter. She brought it up
the following morning, then went away to eat breakfast. While unattended, it
went into BSOD, with a message she didn't record. When she restarted, she is
now getting:

"Disk I/O error: status = 00001000"

"Windows 2000 could not start because the following is missing or corrupt:
<Windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above."

What is cause? Should I just download a copy of ntoskrnl and reinstall it?

You should post to a Win2k newsgroup. This one is for the XP OS. Here
is a list of MS public newsgroups: http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

Pennywise

Stephen F. Smith said:
Just did a full W2K professional reinstall into a 20G partition on a fairly
new Seagate 80G hard drive. Partition is FAT32. Ran fine for quite a few
boot cycles, and turned machine back over to my Daughter. She brought it up
the following morning, then went away to eat breakfast. While unattended, it
went into BSOD, with a message she didn't record. When she restarted, she is
now getting:

"Disk I/O error: status = 00001000"

"Windows 2000 could not start because the following is missing or corrupt:
<Windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above."

What is cause? Should I just download a copy of ntoskrnl and reinstall it?

loose HD cable.