Win2k and Appletalk

Bruce

We are currently running 3 windows 2000 servers. All
have appletalk installed and all have file/print services
for macintosh installed.

Before I started here there had been an old NT 4 machine
on the network. All 2k servers would show up in the
chooser of the art departments Macs. We took that NT
server offline and no longer see the servers in the
chooser. Im assuming that the NT box was seeding the
network.

I have found very few articles relating to this problem
and am curious about what to do. If i tell the mac to
connect to the server by manually typing in the ip or
name i have no problems. But as I stated it no longer
shows up in the chooser.

One other interesting thing. If i turn on ras on any of
the three win2k servers and try to get it to seed the
network i get a blue screen having to do with irq and
device. Im not sure of the exact message.

My understanding of appletalk is enough to be dangerous
but I seem to be missing something. Do i need a seed
router on the network for these machines to show up in
the chooser? Or is there something else that needs to be
done in order to get them to show up.

Thanks Much
Bruce

Kristin Thomas [MSFT]

Bruce,

I know next to nothing about Mac's and anything to do with SFM, however, I
understand that if you don't have RRAS configured as a seed router on any
machine ( and it sounds like you can't) you would need to have a physical
router doing it for you. I would guess NT 4 used to, so you need to figure
out the problem with RRAS or configure a hardware router to do the seeding.

Best Regards,

Kristin Thomas, MCSE, MCP
Microsoft Enterprise Network Support

from your issue.