win2000pro constantly rebooting

G

I left my computer on for a few hours, came back to find Win2000pro rebooting. It would then check C: for errors, then reboot, then get to desktop, and about 20seconds later reboot again... then the process would strat all over again. Now it is displaying the "Active Desktop Recovery" screen, and within a couple of seconds, reboots again...Anyone run into this problem, and how did you fix it?

G

Dan,

Just in case you haven't checked it, check the logs (system and application) to see if anything has been logged at the times it rebooted.
There are a few things that can cause this:
- recently I had a computer that had a faulty DIMM and this was causing the computer to revboot itself
- other likely causes of rebooting litself may be due to power (power supply itself or perhaps motherboard as this can handle alot of the power management)

Cheers,

Timboi

G

Hi Timboi,

There is nothing in logs, I did notice on one of the "Checking C:" that there was a problem with .....system32/config/software?? But on the next time around it said "no problems found". I have also found that I now get a window at the beginning of desktop loading a window stating that OFFICE needs to be re-installed, and that in the networking area the shortcut icon for ISP is gone. Unfortunately, the darn computer reboots before I have time to explore very far.

G

Dan,

If you can, I'd definitely check the RAM next. If you have access to another HDD, perhaps try replacing the HDD then installing Windows to see if it's a HW or SW problem. If the new installation still has problems, it will be a hardware issue.

Cheers,

Timboi

M

Mark Micallef

Could it be bad case of Sasser?
Hi Timboi,

There is nothing in logs, I did notice on one of the "Checking C:" that there was a problem with .....system32/config/software?? But on the next time around it said "no problems found". I have also found that I now get a window at the beginning of desktop loading a window stating that OFFICE needs to be re-installed, and that in the networking area the shortcut icon for ISP is gone. Unfortunately, the darn computer reboots before I have time to explore very far.

:

G

I do not beleave it is a virus problem, my software is always uptodate, and my computer runs sscans every evening. I am very careful with the virus issues.

G

Timboi,

I am jumping in and copying any files that are important to me, then I am going to re-format and reload all software. Unfortuately I do not have another SCSI HDD, so this is my only option for now. I have had so much trouble with Win2000pro corrupting that I have had to re-format many times, takes a long time, wish Microsoft would pay me for all my time fixing their software. Better yet, wish Microsoft would just, for once, make software that works like it is suppose too. Thanks Timboi for your input..:)

Ask a Question