Win2000 strange behavior

bunchofquestions

Hello All:

I have a weird problem with Windows 2000 Pro/SP4 on my Compaq Evo
desktop. CPU is P4 1.8 GHz, RAM 768 MB. I have 2 issues.

1. Right click on any programs by going to Strat/Programs or Settings.
For example power options will take long time to open the options box.
It will hour glass for a minute or so. Sometimes nothing happens and
that task freezes.
2. From word or any programs if I want to open some folder on my PC to
save a file or even open some document will take long time. Sometimes
this freezes too.

Has anyone seen this problem before. I have updated the network
drivers to latest version. I have Intel PRO/100 VM.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank You

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Normally this is a sign that there is something on your machine that is causing the delay. We
see this most often with spyware and adware/malware programs on the machines. antivirus
programs do not catch these type of programs as they are not viruses but will make a
machine very sluggish. I use Ad-Aware and Spy-bot at home and work to clean up the mess
that gets put on my machine from browsing the Internet.

If you antivirus is configured to scan all files when openened, this too will result in delays.

Thanks,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: (e-mail address removed) ([email protected])
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'Subject: Win2000 strange behavior
'--'Date: 6 Feb 2004 07:05:57 -0800
'--'
'--'Hello All:
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.