Win2000 prof joining domain problem

Daniel Tan

How come my Win2000 prof. cannot join domain ? In the network
identification tab under my computer, the Network ID button is
grayed/disabled. Even i go to rename my computer, it won't allow me to
select workgroup or domain. Pls advise. Thanks

Regards
Daniel

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Daniel said:
How come my Win2000 prof. cannot join domain ? In the network
identification tab under my computer, the Network ID button is
grayed/disabled. Even i go to rename my computer, it won't allow me to
select workgroup or domain. Pls advise. Thanks

Regards
Daniel

Are you logged in as an administrator on this computer?
Not sure why you've posted this in a DNS group....

Herb Martin

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
Are you logged in as an administrator on this computer?
Not sure why you've posted this in a DNS group....

I agree but one MIGHT argue (I won't however) that most
such problems (authentication of WS to the domain) are
caused by fault DNS setup.

But if he knew enough about that to post to the DNS group
on purpose then he would just fix it.

Most likely cause IN THIS CASE:

Windows 2000 workstation HOME Edition

Reason: The Domain/workstation elements are greyed out;
implying that his machine doesn't support being a domain
member.

On the other hand I could be wrong and it might be a DNS
problem <GRIN>
[/QUOTE]

Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In
Herb Martin said:
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
Are you logged in as an administrator on this computer?
Not sure why you've posted this in a DNS group....

I agree but one MIGHT argue (I won't however) that most
such problems (authentication of WS to the domain) are
caused by fault DNS setup.

But if he knew enough about that to post to the DNS group
on purpose then he would just fix it.

Most likely cause IN THIS CASE:

Windows 2000 workstation HOME Edition

Reason: The Domain/workstation elements are greyed out;
implying that his machine doesn't support being a domain
member.

On the other hand I could be wrong and it might be a DNS
problem <GRIN>

Windows 2000 never came in a Home Edition. Only Professional and Server.

Check to make sure Client for MS Networks is installed and bound on at least
one adapter.

Herb Martin

I should have know I was messing up saying ANYTHING
about home edition, since I know almost nothing about it
(even in XP-home)

Daniel Tan

Hi Lanwench, yes i logon as administator and this machine doesn't
participate in any domain. BTW sorry maybe i thought that it relates
to any of the domain authentication issue or whatever.

Regards
Daniel

Daniel said:
Hi Lanwench, yes i logon as administator and this machine doesn't
participate in any domain. BTW sorry maybe i thought that it relates
to any of the domain authentication issue or whatever.

Check your event logs?
Regards
Daniel

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
Are you logged in as an administrator on this computer?
Not sure why you've posted this in a DNS group....

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Herb Martin said:
I should have know I was messing up saying ANYTHING
about home edition, since I know almost nothing about it
(even in XP-home)

Not much to know about it, other than the many built-in limitations it, such
as not being able to join a domain, keeping mapped drives, etc.

Ace

Daniel Tan

Hi, nothing inside the event viewer say anything abt it.

Regards
Daniel