Win2000 Pro Hangs On Startup <Save My Marriage>

Dennis Sobotka

I've been running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 for some time now.
Today it will not boot entirely (i.e. no desk top). I've
added the "/sos" switch to the boot.ini file and all of
the drives are loading, disk checks are clean but all I
get is a solid blue screen with the pointer.

I've run CHKDSK a number of times and have deleted the
page file.

Idea's? Next steps to trouble shoot?

PS. This is my wifes computer (i.e. family pictures,
email, kids school work) you get the picture...

Dave Patrick

Check that explorer.exe is the default shell to start. Look at the Reg_Sz
string value of;
"Shell"="Explorer.exe"
found at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Else these may help you.

No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000 (Q256194)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q256194

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect.

:
| I've been running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 for some time now.
| Today it will not boot entirely (i.e. no desk top). I've
| added the "/sos" switch to the boot.ini file and all of
| the drives are loading, disk checks are clean but all I
| get is a solid blue screen with the pointer.
|
| I've run CHKDSK a number of times and have deleted the
| page file.
|
| Idea's? Next steps to trouble shoot?
|

| PS. This is my wifes computer (i.e. family pictures,
| email, kids school work) you get the picture...

dcdon

Hi Dennis,

Hold on there bucko, don't shoot the horse just
yet.

"Been ther..."
Try this...
Start
Run...
SFC /SCANNOW <enter>
If no joy.

Use a 98 bootdisk (w/FDISK)
FDISK /MBR <enter>
try again.
No Joy, weelllll.

Do you have an ERD and a full backup
I thought not.

"Inplace Upgrade" time.
Get your drivers ready, your installation CD,
Service Pack 4 (or whatever), the hotpatches and
reinstall I.E. 6 SP1.
First Boot to the BIOS (tap "delete" key while
begin posting)
Change the first boot device from "floppy" to
"CD-ROM"
Place the Installation CD in the tray and Restart
Look for the "press any key" to boot from CD, and
tap the spacebar (or whatever)
(the 4 boot floppies files are loaded)(takes a
minute)
Now you get the choice of "Set Up install" or
"repair", choose Set Up
You don't need to change anything to do with your
partitions -> so gracefully bow out of that.
Next you get the choice of "Install" or "REPAIR"
Choose 'REPAIR"
Prompted for language, say OK (with an "F something
key")
agree to the EULA (license agreement)
CD Key Number
(set up installs components)(takes several
minutes)
Press Enter to complete and reboot.
First your drivers for hardware, if needed right
now
Then go here to install Service Pack 4 or whatever
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/default.asp
Then you will need the list of Hotpatches you had
or go here
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
Be careful to not just take all of them. If they
don't pertain to you are it is not a security
patch, you may not need it. You can always write it
down and load it tomorrow.
After we are through with that, do the I.E. 6 SP1
thing
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.asp
BTW, looking at that page, I would go back and get
KB824145
Now, let's see if that dog will hunt.
"Dennis Sobotka" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I've been running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 for some
time now.
Today it will not boot entirely (i.e. no desk top).
I've
added the "/sos" switch to the boot.ini file and
all of
the drives are loading, disk checks are clean but
all I
get is a solid blue screen with the pointer.

I've run CHKDSK a number of times and have deleted
the
page file.

Idea's? Next steps to trouble shoot?

PS. This is my wifes computer (i.e. family
pictures,
email, kids school work) you get the picture...

Dennis Sobotka

Additional information:

ctrl-alt-del will not break out of blank blue screen, no
response.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks Dennis

Dave Patrick

Try booting safe mode.