Win2000: Cannot view web content in folders

Jerry McEwen

This is a repost (with new info) from a Nov.2004 post.

Subject: My IE 6 / Windows 2000 security is broken (repost w/ more
info:))

In addition to having problems with any Microsoft product Help, I also
get a message if I try to enable web content in folders.

"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on
this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."

--- BEGIN OLD POST ---

On Frank's advice, I went to "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet
Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378, followed the instructions
and nothing has changed.

If I go to a site and add a filename or /folder name that
doesn't exist, I get this error message:

"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on
this page. As a result, the page may not display correctly."

This happens on both www sites and locally as I test websites.

I use Apache 1.3.29, not IIS, and ApacheÕs default 404 page contains
no ActiveX. A valid address such as http://localhost/Salon/ comes up
just fine (with a directory listing, I have no default page set in
httpd.conf), but if I add some garbage to the end, such as
http://localhost/Salon/bogus, I get the ActiveX error message.

I am on Win2000 Pro with all current updates. IE is 6.0.2800.1106 and
security is set to default (medium). Security settings on default
(medium) have always allowed ActiveX in the past. I started with
medium/default and then changed every setting that was not "allow" to
"prompt." I even ran my security down to low and I still get the error
message.

Before you tell me how bad IE is, Firefox is my default browser and
Eudora is my default email app, but I still need for IE to work
correctly.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks!