WIN XP SP2/IE6 SP1 -Blank Address Bar - Invalid Syntax Error - Page cannot be displayed

yukon727

Hi,
I have around 600 effected Windows XP SP2 workstations in an 2003 AD domain
that access a secure https timekeeping site.
When users click on the https link IE6 SP1 attempts to load and then gets a
get a blank address bar with "Invalid Syntax" and "The page cannot be
displayed" error.
I have checked network connectivity and DNS but it seems to be a local issue
that revolves around the workstations.
There are another 700 workstations in the single domain that can access the
website routinely with no problem.
Iv looked at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130 ,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834489/en-us ,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/ etc.
I have heard that this could be caused because of an internet explorer
administration kit could have been used.
Has anyone had experience in solving this issue? If so, could you share your
wisdom with me?
Thank You,
Yukon727

Rob ^_^

Hi Yukon,

Compare the https protocol handler for the machines that aren't working with
that of the ones that are working.

Either view the protocol handler in the registry HKCR\https or use the
Windows Explorer Tools>Folder Options menu - File Types tab.
WWW_OpenURLNewWindow or WWW_OpenURL should be the DDE topic.

Also check your Trusted sites Security settings - Tools>Internet Options -
Security tab - Trusted Sites. Is the site for your timekeeper located in the
correct zone? Is active scripting for that zone enabled? (having Active
scripting disabled would explain the 'Invalid Syntax' error.)

Check that none of your Group Policies are making any of these settings,
although if all your machines are loading the same Profile this would not be
the case.

Have any of these machines been restored from an IE7 installation (you said
it was IE6 SP1 which could not have been upgraded to IE7 and then restored,
but...). There is a feature of IE7 and the IE5 power toys tool 'Add site to
Trusted Zone' which causes the Zone Icons to be corrupted. Post back if you
see corrupted Zone Icons.

Regards.

yukon727

Man........ Thanks a lot Rob,
That is some excellent information............
The https timekeeping website is on our intranet and is JRE enabled (uses
JRE 1.5.0_11).
The issue is odd because at times it appears to be profile specific. I have
backed up an effected users profile and then recreated them
..................... Sometimes the users can login to the secure site a
couple of times and then the link permanently fails. Another user can login
to the same machine (with same permissions) and the website works fine. At
other times it appears to be network related.................... Iv checked
routing, ensured that network connectivity and port/program exceptions are
correct.
We use VNC enterprise for remote KVM assistance................ When I login
to a non functional machine with VNC the link functions??
The KVM session must be a proxy of some sort to the broken machine??

Using your instructions and on a broken machine I looked at HKCR\https and
found the following:

Default - REG_SZ - URL:Hyper Text Transfer Protocol with Privacy
EditFlags - REG_DWORD - 0X00000002 (2)
Source Filter - REG_SZ - {E436EBBB6-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
URL Protocol - REG_SZ

I also looked in Windows Explorer Tools>Folder Options menu - File types
tab.
I couldn't find "WWW_OpenURLNewWindow or WWW_OpenURL for a DDE Topic but I
did find:

Question - What specifically was I looking for in the registry..........
This may sound dumb (and I confess in this area I am:) but I couldn't find
any key named "protocol handler".
Is there a particular key with a specific value I should see?
Also, I didn't see anything in Windows Explorer Tools>Folder Options menu -
File types tab that was called ""WWW_OpenURLNewWindow or WWW_OpenURL for the
DDE topic.......... Is the machine missing something or am I misinterpreting
something?

I did check the Trusted Sites on the machine and there were no URLs listed
for the zone.......
I am going to add the timekeeping site to the intranet trusted sites and
check to ensure that "active scripting" for the zone is enabled.
In regards to JRE, is there anything else which should be enabled for the
zone?

None of the machines have been restored from an IE7 installation and
everything that I know of domain wide is IE6 SP1.
Some of our laptop users are local admins and could have installed IE7.
Would I see the corrupted zone icons in Tools>Internet Options - > Security
tab?

We did use IEAK to roll out IE6............. Iv heard that in some cases the
"Invalid Syntax Error - Page cannot be displayed" error could be related to
using IEAK.

I want to Thank You for your detailed message and help.
Yukon
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------"Rob ^_^" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...> Hi Yukon,>> Compare the https protocol handler for the machines that aren't workingwith that of the ones that are working.>> Either view the protocol handler in the registry HKCR\https or use theWindows Explorer Tools>Folder Options menu - File Types tab.WWW_OpenURLNewWindow or WWW_OpenURL should be the DDE topic.>> Also check your Trusted sites Security settings - Tools>Internet Options -Security tab - Trusted Sites. Is the site for your timekeeper located in thecorrect zone? Is active scripting for that zone enabled? (having Activescripting disabled would explain the 'Invalid Syntax' error.)>> Check that none of your Group Policies are making any of these settings,although if all your machines are loading the same Profile this would not bethe case.>> Have any of these machines been restored from an IE7 installation (yousaid it was IE6 SP1 which could not have been upgraded to IE7 and thenrestored, but...). There is a feature of IE7 and the IE5 power toys tool'Add site to Trusted Zone' which causes the Zone Icons to be corrupted. Postback if you see corrupted Zone Icons.>> Regards.> "yukon727" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:D[email protected]...>> Hi,>> I have around 600 effected Windows XP SP2 workstations in an 2003 ADdomain that access a secure https timekeeping site.>> When users click on the https link IE6 SP1 attempts to load and then getsa get a blank address bar with "Invalid Syntax" and "The page cannot bedisplayed" error.>> I have checked network connectivity and DNS but it seems to be a localissue that revolves around the workstations.>> There are another 700 workstations in the single domain that can accessthe website routinely with no problem.>> Iv looked at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130 ,http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834489/en-us ,http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378/ etc.>> I have heard that this could be caused because of an internet exploreradministration kit could have been used.>> Has anyone had experience in solving this issue? If so, could you shareyour wisdom with me?>> Thank You,>> Yukon727>>>>>>

Rob ^_^

Hi,

In the registry you will find a number of entries under HKCR that are
protocol handlers... http, https, mail, telnet etc. You can work out how
these work with IE. You should see a number of keys under each protocol
handler, Default Icon, Shell. The shell node tells the OS what application
to use to launch the URI and how to do it. In the case of IE DDE is used to
pass the URI to a new or currently running instance of IE.

From your descriptions of what you found under the https node it sounds like
your company is using a proxy. Unfortunately I don't have the experience in
this area, but I would start by looking at the proxy settings, and comparing
them between working and problem machines. That the problem occurs from time
to time, again points to a Group Policy push, the scripting errors to a
connection script error or some quirky settings for your proxy server

Try pinging the timekeeping site on a problem machine. I would expect that
it will timeout. Tracert may then provide the insight as to what is
happening on your network.

Regards.