Win 2k Pro Lost Task Manager

Mike

Since SP4 installed, Task Manager is disabled. I see it on the menu but
can't click on it. Any ideas how to get it back?

TIA!

Kevin Mattson

Mike,

That sounds like a policy problem. Launch gpedit.msc and have a look under
User Configuration-Administrative Templates-Logon-Disable Task Manager. Set
that policy to disabled.

If your computer is joined to a domain then it may be a policy being applied
at a domain or OU level also.

Kevin Mattson, MCSE
www.deploy-tech.net

Tom W.

Kevin:

I just posted the same issue on two other newsgroups
before I found your response to Mike. I am very grateful
for your solution to this same problem that has been
aggravating me for ages. Thanks so much.

Tom

Mike

Thanks for the input but no luck. I disabled the setting that you
recommended and still, the Task Manager is grayed out on the right mouse
click.

However, I do also have a second and maybe related problem. I also cannot
load regedit. I get a message "disabled by administrator" when I try and
launch it. (Even if I'm logged in as administrator.) Maybe these are
related problems. Is there a simialr setting somewhere for regedit?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Benny Fu

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your posting.

Based on the description, the issue is likely related to the domain policy
or you are not in the local adminstrators group. Please contact your
network administrator to confirm if the domain policy has applied.

Please also check if your current user account is included in the Local
Administrators group in your computer. If not, please add your account to
the local administrators group first. Can you access registry properly now?

For the Task Manager issue, please check as follows:

Step a:
=======
1. Select the following registry key in the left pane.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
2. Delete the DisableTaskMgr entry in the right pane.
3. Restart the computer.

Step b:
=======
If the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
does not exist, please take the following steps to check the issue.

1. Click Start and select Run.
2. Type regedit in Open box and click OK.
3. Highlight My Computer in the Registry Editor.
4. Click Edit, and then select Find.
5. In the open box, type in DisableTaskMgr , and then click Find Next to
search it in the Registry until the whole registry is searched.

Hope the information is helpful.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,

Benny Fu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Microsoft Corporation
Get Secure! – www.microsoft.com/security

| From: "Mike" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Win 2k Pro Lost Task Manager
| Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:08:40 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup
|
| Thanks for the input but no luck. I disabled the setting that you
| recommended and still, the Task Manager is grayed out on the right mouse
| click.
|
| However, I do also have a second and maybe related problem. I also cannot
| load regedit. I get a message "disabled by administrator" when I try
and
| launch it. (Even if I'm logged in as administrator.) Maybe these are
| related problems. Is there a simialr setting somewhere for regedit?
|
| I really appreciate your help.
|
| Thanks!
|
| | > Mike,
| >
| > That sounds like a policy problem. Launch gpedit.msc and have a look
| under
| > User Configuration-Administrative Templates-Logon-Disable Task Manager.
| Set
| > that policy to disabled.
| >
| > If your computer is joined to a domain then it may be a policy being
| applied
| > at a domain or OU level also.
| >
| > Kevin Mattson, MCSE
| > www.deploy-tech.net

| but
| > > can't click on it. Any ideas how to get it back?
| > >
| > > TIA!

Benny Fu

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

From your reply, I understand that you in a network workgroup. In that
case, the issue is likely related to the computer local policy and
settings. Have you checked the following registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

I am looking forward to your confirmation.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,

Benny Fu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Microsoft Corporation
Get Secure! – www.microsoft.com/security

| From: "Mike" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Win 2k Pro Lost Task Manager
| Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:50:11 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup
|
| I am NOT a member of any domain, but of a workgroup and I am a local
| administrator. Any other ideas?
|

| | > Thanks for the input but no luck. I disabled the setting that you
| > recommended and still, the Task Manager is grayed out on the right mouse
| > click.
| >
| > However, I do also have a second and maybe related problem. I also
cannot
| > load regedit. I get a message "disabled by administrator" when I try
| and
| > launch it. (Even if I'm logged in as administrator.) Maybe these are
| > related problems. Is there a simialr setting somewhere for regedit?
| >
| > I really appreciate your help.
| >
| > Thanks!

| > > That sounds like a policy problem. Launch gpedit.msc and have a look
| > under
| > > User Configuration-Administrative Templates-Logon-Disable Task
Manager.
| > Set
| > > that policy to disabled.
| > >
| > > If your computer is joined to a domain then it may be a policy being
| > applied
| > > at a domain or OU level also.
| > >
| > > Kevin Mattson, MCSE
| > > www.deploy-tech.net

| > but

Benny Fu

Hi Mike,

If you cannot enter registry, please try to reboot the computer into Safe
Mode and logon using the system built-in administrator account to check if
you can enter registry in Safe Mode.

Thanks and have a good day!

Regards,

Benny Fu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Microsoft Corporation

Mike

Benny,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I can't get into safe mode. I'm
getting kernel error exception. ... What a mess...!

I've also looked at a number of "3rd" party registry tools. I've tried a
few, they all seem to depend or hide their use of regedit!

So, I'm on the hunt to find some type of tool that will let me edit the
registery (outside of regedit).

Adivce is always appreciated!

Mike

Great advice!

I did so & I now have the Task Manager working! But no luck on regedit.
But, definately helps my situation. This probably uses the settings I
changed from Kevin's initial reply regarding gpedit.msc.

Thank you!

Benny Fu

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

To fix the registry issue, we can make the following changes in the Local
Security Policy:

1. Open Group Policy: Start, Run, type in: gpedit.msc
2. Go to: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System
3. Change the policy : "Disable registry editing tools"
- double-click on the policy to open the policy properties
- set to "disabled" and save
4. We are now able to open regedt32.exe and regedit.exe