Win 2k and Win XP Peer to peer netowrking

Paul Holmes

Hi,

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help.

I share a house with a friend, we have recently had a
cable modem installed (600k service). On top of this I
have added a Netgear WG614 wireless router to share
internet access. I have a Netgear WG311 wireless card on
my W2k pro machine connecting to the router. My friend has
an ethernet cable running to the router from his Win XP
machine.

All Internet viewing is fine and we have no problems. We
now however, want to set up our machines as a peer to peer
network to enable file/printer/other resource sharing. We
have both enabled the sharing rights on the relevant
services for both machines.

The problem is that:

a) Neither machine can see the other on the network. How
can this be fixed?
b) Once the machines can see eachother, how do we then set
up the user rights to enable access to eachothers machines
(read somewhere that we need to set up a new user for each
machine and that the other uses to log onto the other
machine, but how is this done?)?

Thanks in advance for your help, it is much appreciated.
Please let me know if you require any further information.

Kind Regards,

Paul Holmes

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Paul,

Make sure the workgroup name on both machines is EXACTLY the same (it is case
sensative). Once that is done, create an account for each other on each other's machine and
then you will be able to do all the sharing you want.

Thanks,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "Paul Holmes" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Paul Holmes" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Win 2k and Win XP Peer to peer netowrking
'--'Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:41:34 -0700
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'Hi,
'--'
[...]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.