Will this computer run Vista adequately?

Bob Newman

I'm looking for a little guidance if I could please. My XP computer died
and I must replace it although I have very limited resources at this time.
I realize the computer I am describing is very basic but I am trying to get
some feedback as to if it is a waste of money. My computer usage is 90% for
email (Outlook 2003), web access, and light Word and Excel usage (both
2003). The computer I am contemplating is an eMachines T5088 specs are:

Pentium 4 Processor 641, 3.20 GHz

512 MB RAM

160 GB HD

DVD RW

I know more memory is desirable. Is it mandatory for "adequate"
performance. Any issues with Office 2003 & Vista?

Any other Vista issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your input.

Bob

Frank

Bob said:
I'm looking for a little guidance if I could please. My XP computer died
and I must replace it although I have very limited resources at this time.
I realize the computer I am describing is very basic but I am trying to get
some feedback as to if it is a waste of money. My computer usage is 90% for
email (Outlook 2003), web access, and light Word and Excel usage (both
2003). The computer I am contemplating is an eMachines T5088 specs are:

Pentium 4 Processor 641, 3.20 GHz

512 MB RAM

160 GB HD

DVD RW

I know more memory is desirable. Is it mandatory for "adequate"
performance. Any issues with Office 2003 & Vista?

Any other Vista issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your input.

Bob
The CPU is ok but the RAM is only half of what is considered as adequate.
But you failed to mention the video which is very important in Vista?
What's the deal on it?
Frank

Ken Blake, MVP

I'm looking for a little guidance if I could please. My XP computer died
and I must replace it although I have very limited resources at this time.
I realize the computer I am describing is very basic but I am trying to get
some feedback as to if it is a waste of money. My computer usage is 90% for
email (Outlook 2003), web access, and light Word and Excel usage (both
2003). The computer I am contemplating is an eMachines T5088 specs are:

Pentium 4 Processor 641, 3.20 GHz

512 MB RAM

160 GB HD

DVD RW

I know more memory is desirable. Is it mandatory for "adequate"
performance.

Probably not, considering your undemanding planned usage.

Besides, you can always add more memory later if you need it.

Any issues with Office 2003 & Vista?

It should work fine.

Bob Newman

Video, here's what it says:

Intel Graphics Media Aclerator 950
Up to 224 MB Shared Video Memory
PCI-Express Slot available

Bob

Rob

If you want Aero, you need a video card that supports...DX 9...I think, It
might be DX 10. Someone will tell you which one.

R. McCarty

Should be, plus having a PCIe(xpress) slot would allow you to
upgrade to a Video Card that supports the "Aero Glass" GUI.
For example Tiger Direct outlet has a PCIe card for ~$30.00
that would work for rendering the Aero effects.

Frank

Bob said:
Video, here's what it says:

Intel Graphics Media Aclerator 950
Up to 224 MB Shared Video Memory
PCI-Express Slot available

Bob
Yeah, best to put a few more bucks into more RAM.
Frank

Bob Newman

Even with more memory and the updated video card can the computer described
run Premium? What advantages would that get me besides more eye candy?

Bob

Bob Newman

That sounds like a reasonable investment. Aero aside, will the video
upgrade speed up basic Vista?

Bob

R. McCarty

It's complicated and not easy to give a Yes/No answer. Most
people do not realize that neither nVidia or ATI (AMD) hold
the title of largest video card producer - That belongs to Intel.
Most of the recent Chipset based Video solutions are good or
better than a few chip generations prior.

I've done benchmarks comparing on-board or chipset based
video and compared with AGP/PCIe performance. The AGP
and PCIe will outperform a on-board Video (Northbridge).
The one thing to consider is the workload. On-board Video is
designed to use System RAM for graphics purposes. If you use
a AGP/PCIe card that will have it's own dedicated RAM and
use a separate bus. So having even a "Entry Level" PCIe card
lowers the workload on the Motherboard/CPU which should
equate to some (?) performance gains.

Peter Foldes

Hi Bob

If you say you will only use it for E-mail and light use of Word and Excel then I see no problem with having 512 mb of memory. But if you plan to use it later for graphic and other heavy memory usage apps then you be better off to have 1 gig or more memory. It is up to you. If you plan a more heavy use later then it is better to get it with a higher memory at the time of purchase. Only you can decide.

Jay Somerset

Video, here's what it says:

Intel Graphics Media Aclerator 950
Up to 224 MB Shared Video Memory
PCI-Express Slot available

Bob

As someone else said, the 512MB ram is not really enough for Vista, and
considering that your video card is "stealing" 224MB of that, you need to
upgrade to at least 1GB of ram, otherwise Vista will see less than 300MB,
which is virtually unworkable.

KristleBawl

In my opinion (using eMachines with Vista Home Basic and the original 512 MB
RAM) your new system will be a good home computer for your needs. Once I got
used to Vista, I added weather gadgets and things, so I have a few extra
optional things running all the time, and it's quite "adequate" with a
little room to spare..

I'm planning on adding more RAM later to make it 2 GB. :)

As far as issues...

McAfee and Norton Antivirus, often included with a new computer, "work with"
Vista but are not actually compatible with it. Mine came with a free trial
of McAfee that I had to uninstall, then get the uninstaller from the McAfee
site to remove the parts that didn't want to uninstall. (very annoying) If
you do not already have a preferred Antivirus program, AVG and Avast4 both
offer free versions that work well with Vista, but you'll need to disable
email scanning to prevent other problems.

You should read the help files about compatibility before installing
anything, because some older programs need to be made compatible with a
couple of simple clicks before they will install correctly.

Spybot Search & Destroy's Immunize function causes problems with Windows
Mail, but the regular scanning works just fine.

Some people have reported that they have problems after the Automatic
Update, set for 3AM by default, which replaces the need to visit the Windows
Update site, but I have allowed every update without a problem, although I
do restart my computer every monring, just in case. :)

KB

in message news:[email protected]...

KristleBawl

Not necessarily true!

Mine has "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950, Up to 224MB Shared Video
Memory, PCI-Express® (PCI-E x16) slot available for upgrade" and only 512 MB
RAM and it lists 502, 504 or 506, depending on where I look.

KB

"Jay Somerset" wrote in message

Lang Murphy

Bob Newman said:
[...]

I've read the other posts in reply to your query and will throw in my own
two cents...

Upgrade the RAM. I see others have indicated that 512MB is sufficient (for
them) and, having experienced it first hand myself, I'd have to disagree. I
guess the good thing about upgrading RAM is that you can start off with the
512MB and if system performance on basic things like surfing the web or
opening, hmm..., two Office applications simultaneously is acceptable to
you, then you can stick with the 512MB RAM and not upgrade. Personally, I
thought 512MB RAM was way underpowered. But that was on a laptop and I think
you're using a desktop and that may make a difference. At any rate, you're
on the cusp of happy computing with Vista and 512MB RAM. It could tilt
either way... you may be more patient than I... ;-)

Good luck!

Lang