Why is Word invoked at startup?

David Kinston

A few days ago Word (winword.exe) began to run at
system boot, for no obvious reason.
A pop-up box appears stating that the file normal.dot
cannot be saved as it is already in use.

Windows 2000, all updates/patches, regularly run spybot
and adaware pro and VET anti-virus.

I've checked the places I know (start-up folders, etc)
but can't locate the reason. I've browsed the registry,
but didn't see anything I felt confident might be related.

Is this some sort of virus/worm? Any ideas?

David Kinston
melbourne.au

Greg Moseley

Have you got Outlook running at boot time? Is Outlook configured to use
Word as your email editor?

Just a thought.

Posted To: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Conversation: Why is Word invoked at startup?
Subject: Why is Word invoked at startup?

A few days ago Word (winword.exe) began to run at
system boot, for no obvious reason.
A pop-up box appears stating that the file normal.dot
cannot be saved as it is already in use.

Windows 2000, all updates/patches, regularly run spybot
and adaware pro and VET anti-virus.

I've checked the places I know (start-up folders, etc)
but can't locate the reason. I've browsed the registry,
but didn't see anything I felt confident might be related.

Is this some sort of virus/worm? Any ideas?

David Kinston
melbourne.au

David K

Outlook runs at boot but only for the calendar.
I'll try removiong it from the startup group to see what happens.
David

David Kinston

No - that didn't help!

Anyone know what is happening?