Why do most people use chrome over Edge

Reaction score
I have tried Microsoft Edge with windows 10 and my chrome still works faster and easier . why is this ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interestingly, the new Microsoft Edge browser (released on 15th January) now uses the "Chromium" engine that Google Chrome is based on. They'll be very similar browsers in how they function, now that Microsoft has abandoned its own rendering engine. They still look different though.

If you don't have the new Edge browser based on Chromium, you can try it out here:

I mainly use Chrome as it is the most popular browser, so has great compatibility with most websites. This was more of a problem in the past due to rendering issues between browsers, but FireFox/Edge/Safari/Chrome/etc... are all very similar at how they display webpages now.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
As a current Edge user will I have to download the new version or will it simply become the default version automatically?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
From memory, I think it started rolling out at in January sometime for most users. You can check if you've got the current one by going to the 3 dots menu > help and feedback > about Microsoft Edge. If it mentions "Chromium" then you're on the new verison. Here's a screenshot of my updated version...

Capture.PNG

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just downloaded the latest version. It obviously hadn't been installed automatically (yet). Haven't noticed any differences but probably too early at the moment. :)

Reaction score
I started using Chrome because I didn't like Internet Explorer. I haven't bothered with Edge since Chrome works well for me.

Reaction score
Interestingly, the new Microsoft Edge browser (released on 15th January) now uses the "Chromium" engine that Google Chrome is based on. They'll be very similar browsers in how they function, now that Microsoft has abandoned its own rendering engine. They still look different though.

If you don't have the new Edge browser based on Chromium, you can try it out here:

I mainly use Chrome as it is the most popular browser, so has great compatibility with most websites. This was more of a problem in the past due to rendering issues between browsers, but FireFox/Edge/Safari/Chrome/etc... are all very similar at how they display webpages now.
Thank you

Reaction score
I started using Chrome because I didn't like Internet Explorer. I haven't bothered with Edge since Chrome works well for me.
That is what I think just stay with what works good for me without any problems.

Reaction score
In the past I had tried Explorer (too slow), Mozilla Firefox (too many crashes and security breaches), and finally settled on Chrome. It worked well. Then I upgraded to Windows 10 and started using the old Edge (it was very bad), and Microsoft upgraded that to the new Edge based on Chrome. The new Edge was good in that it is fast, but bad in that I got overwhelmed by the number of advertisements. I became frustrated with the amount of advertising I had to put up with, so guess what? I've switched back to using Chrome!

Reaction score
I only used a Microsoft browser when I could not load pages or properly load pages via Firefox or Chrome. The last couple of years I haven't had a problem with Firefox or Chrome for loading pages, i.e no need for Edge.

Ask a Question