Why are we being forced to upgrade to digital TV?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"I won’t rake over the BBC executives’ expenses story, or the trauma of Jana Bennett’s stolen handbag (since reimbursed by us to the tune of £500). But it is worth noting that, in a week when reader Cheryl Armitage wrote to the Times letters page revealing that, as a Radio 4 reporter, she submitted a £10 taxi claim and her editor’s response was to make an assistant phone the companies operating the four buses that she would have needed to take for the journey, then repay her precisely the cost of those fares, we learn that deputy D-G Mark Byford, another of those execs rockin’ on down at Glastonbury, routinely charged the licence fee payer £240 for a chauffeur to collect him from Waterloo each morning.

Do management pay Jonathan Ross £6 million a year cunningly to deflect attention from such casual excesses? Maybe they think that we won’t notice all the middle-ranking managers with their vague job descriptions, vast salaries, cast-iron pensions and jobs for life who are doing — well, what exactly? Forming sub-committees and steering groups, drawing up five-year strategy plans on A4 pads and attending meetings, meetings, meetings. Recent documents reveal that 47 BBC executives are paid more than the Prime Minister’s salary of £195,000. Why? All we want from the BBC is decent programmes."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/co...l_midgley/article6619134.ece?openComment=true

Above posted in response to ,

Quote from Flops,

"In fact the whole issue of the TV licence and BBC funding is open to debate.

Tis a high price we pay for advertising-free television and so-called quality drama."

laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And guess what I'm going to say? :D

Here we go:

I couldn't care less :D

Why?

Cos I don't buy a TV licence :lol:

So that's your money they're wasting, not mine, hehe ;)

I suppose when I eventually get a TV I may consider buying a licence. But I shall buy the TV with cash under an assumed name so there will be no record of a sale to me sent to the Stormtrooper Enforcement Command, oops, sorry, TV Licensing people.

I haven't watched TV since about '97 and haven't bought a licence since I split from the ex seven years ago.

The only things I've watched that have been televised have been Live 8 and Bruce & Neil @ Glastonbury but none of those on Live TV.

Man is corrupt. Those who aren't doing well are only jealous of those who are doing well. As well, lol

Keep your nose above water, your back door covered and your powder dry, tis a dog-eat-dog world we live in :)

Reaction score
It is amazing the nonsense that is posted here about TV licences and detection.
The real reason that they are changing to Digital is it uses less bandwidth and gives a better picture. In addition it allows the government to sell off the then unused bands to commercial organisations for things other than TV.

Do you really believe that there is no equipment that can track down whether you are using a TV? It is assumed that everyone has a TV so they check who has a licence and who has not and sit outside the doors of those who dont and check for radiation from the TV. Then knock on the door and can go right to the TV wherever it is located.
So those who have no licence can never be sure when (not if) they will knock.

GO GET A LICENCE!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
MacNala said:
The real reason that they are changing to Digital is it uses less bandwidth and gives a better picture. In addition it allows the government to sell off the then unused bands to commercial organisations for things other than TV.

Do you really believe that there is no equipment that can track down whether you are using a TV? It is assumed that everyone has a TV so they check who has a licence and who has not and sit outside the doors of those who dont and check for radiation from the TV. Then knock on the door and can go right to the TV wherever it is located.

GO GET A LICENCE!

So called TV detector vans are a myth you fool. They could not track radiation emmissions from a CRT TV screen nor could they trace any one of many local oscillators inside the TV set.

The TV detector vans were one of the biggest myths ever perpetuated on the British Public.

And LCD screens don't emit radiation.

A Nazi from the TV Licencing people cannot enter your home without a search warrant, a tenant will only let them in voluntarily.

So you, my TV Licence people employee, are spreading falsehoods.

Where I used to live the Licence people Blue Meanies visited me twice and I let them in on two occasions, fumigating on each occasion after they left. They agreed I didn't have any means to receive live television signals on each occasion.

When they called a third time I refused them entry and I also refused them entry on the several occasions they called again after that. They then started bombarding me with agressive phone calls.

At one stage on the phone I reduced one of your people to tears and the only thing that stopped those fools phoning me in the end was me threatening to sue them for harrassment.

Why do you assume everybody has a TV? We're not all brain dead.

I've been at this address a year now - no TV - and I have a 100mm high pile of correspondence from the TV Licence Stormtroopers making all kinds of nasty threatening gestures, often mentioning the words 'fine' and 'legal'. All of it is toothless garbage. In the last two months they actually managed to find out my name somehow.

Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread. The bit that makes me laugh is about, how "our money" paid for expenses etc for JAna Benettes hand bag or whatever....Erm do people think the sole income of the BBC etc is from TV licencing ? I think not. TV licening doesn't even make up 5% of the amount of money BBC and the like make.....

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I do not need a TV licence

Bring it on sunshine, bring it on ... you'll get no change of me either.

:wave:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
When they called a third time I refused them entry and I also refused them entry on the several occasions they called again after that.
Something tells me you're not a dog owner...

mur007pieni.jpg

:p

Reaction score
MacNala said:

GO GET A LICENCE!

ROFLMAO @ TV detector van

Reaction score
MacNala said:

GO GET A LICENCE!

Exactly what I said in the beginning my friend. Ker ching.

And like 99% of the population, I get a far worse signal from digital TV, and it is usually pixellated.

They can't track anything down, nobody is fooled by this. That is why at Universities they spend their time sending everyone a letter every three weeks trying to scare everyone into buying a license. Unfortunately, most people call their bluff. God knows how many millions of tons of paper they fritter away sending us regular scaremongering letters. I only know one person at Uni with a frigging TV anyway so it is complete waste of time and money anyway. Just at my uni alone, everybody receives the bloody things every three weeks or so, and there are 3500 people on campus. The most ridiculous and inefficient system in the world, and must cost a fortune too.

You, Mr TV License supervisor, are pedalling a big pile.

Reaction score
We view digital TV via a set top box(Freeview) and some time the signal drops out with only the sound coming over.So when our TV finaly gives up,it`s over 10 years old,and we go for one of these digital ones,will it happen with it also? Is that an improvement in technology I wonder?
historian

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
At the moment they are broadcasting a weaker digital signal so as not to interfer with the analogue signals. As they change over region by region they will increase the power of the digital signal. Whether this will lead to a decent signal all the time only time will tell.

user.gif

Ask a Question