Why are we being forced to upgrade to digital TV?

Reaction score
I for one am at a loss as to why the head honchos think that this is one of the most important things to spend £umpteen million of public money on.

The only thing I can think of is they want to cash in on the TV and Radio frequencies to balance the books, ala 3G phone stuff. But then it is costing a bomb to outfit everyone with the necessary crap, so maybe not.

Perhaps you can keep track of TV licences with Digital TV?

Anyone else rank this as monumental waste of money?

I honestly know nothing about it, so it is more of a question than a complaint.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You ain't being "forced" to upgrade ... do as some of us have done, bin the TV. :D

:wave:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You ain't being "forced" to upgrade ... do as some of us have done, bin the TV. :D

Not having a TV will save on the licence fee!:thumb:

A friend does this and watch's most missed programs over the internet!:thumb::thumb:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:

Don't have one at uni - I can live quite easily without it! There is hardly anything worth watching - sport, a couple of comedies (IT Crowd - LOL), and some programs on National Geographic.

I have NTL anyway, so don't use analogue. Just seems a stupid thing to spend public money on, thats all :)

Reaction score
feckit said:
Not having a TV will save on the licence fee!:thumb:

A friend does this and watch's most missed programs over the internet!:thumb::thumb:

Would you still need a TV licence if you were watching TV on the internet?

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Would you still need a TV licence if you were watching TV on the internet?

Feckit said:
Not having a TV will save on the licence fee!
icon14.gif

A friend does this and watch's most missed programs over the internet!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

No you don't. you only need a licence if you have a TV tuner on your computer which allows you to watch programs as they are being shown, not if you download them to watch later or use streaming like 4 on demand.
You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes AS THEY ARE BEING SHOWN ON TV..

Basically so long as you are not watching live streaming TV, or have fitted a video card to your PC/Laptop you do not need a licence to watch TV on the net. So watching iPlayer, 4OD etc is safe. Well for now as BBC are going to start live streaming on iPlayer soon enough and have said you will need a licence for that...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aren't there any 405 line transmissions any more then? :confused:

Digital TV is a good thing compared to analogue TV but I'm a bit miffed FM radio's going down the swannee :(

Reaction score
U dont have to watch if ya dont want to.

Put it this way;

Analogue TV

Only Digital signals present

Tv not able to recieve and analogue signal unless a set top box or digital cable box is bought

ie Virgin, Telewest, Sky etc etc etc

So does that mean even though you have a tv that is no longer able to recieve a signal unless you purchase/subscribe to the above you can stop paying a license and only use it for your console games?

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
So does that mean even though you have a tv that is no longer able to recieve a signal unless you purchase/subscribe to the above you can stop paying a license and only use it for your console games?

I'd say so long as you don't have a digital reciever, then you are correct.

Edit: Somehwere else, and I an't find it now, we covered TV licences before, and when yu need one and when you don't

Reaction score
Then you have to prove to the guy on the doorstep you dont have one to stop paying your license of course

They are easily hidden!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
When all TV signals are no longer broadcast in analogue form then all TV's that only have an analogue tuner will be exempt from the licence fee. I feel fairly confident in stating that.

The TV will only have use as a monitor.

But it's likely a CRT TV and as all analogue signals won't be phased out completely for about another five years it may very well be worn out. CRT tube life is finite, it's just a big valve after all.

I'm surprised to see that most LCD & Plasma TV's are still offering dual tuners (analogue & digital) - what's the point?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Digital signals are actually shorter and weaker than analogue signals, which is why most people struggle when trying to get a picture on there old aerials and then need to upgrade to a larger more higher gain digital aerial..

On the subject of Digital being a better technology at least my analogue picture never breaks up and pixelates when the weathers bad or theres lightning about

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Digital signals are actually shorter and weaker than analogue signals, which is why most people struggle when trying to get a picture on there old aerials and then need to upgrade to a larger more higher gain digital aerial..

On the subject of Digital being a better technology at least my analogue picture never breaks up and pixelates when the weathers bad or theres lightning about

Good point that, it's as if the signals aren't so strong as they assume a good majority of people will get their signal from cable or satellite dish.

The old 625 line signal was broadcast mostly with a strong signal except, for some unfathomable reason, in Woolwich, Plumstead and Erith, SE London. Quite odd that, you had to have a rooftop aerial to get a decent signal if you lived there. Probably something to do with being in a valley with steep sides.

The new technology is a lot simpler though, the secret's in the encoding/decoding process, there's less going on there now. And in my humble opinion, looking at the overall process, it is a better technology.

Anybody want to buy a NAD 4020A AM/FM analogue radio tuner? :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
When all TV signals are no longer broadcast in analogue form then all TV's that only have an analogue tuner will be exempt from the licence fee. I feel fairly confident in stating that.

I can see the logic in that but will it really be the case?

And is it when ALL analogue signals are off or only those in your own particular area which would be more rational.

If there will be no fee to pay then there will be a huge incentive to keep your old analogue TV and use a digi-box. I can see millions of people doing that and not paying the fee. I'm sure the government would soon change that as it would lose them a huge amount of dosh.

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Then you have to prove to the guy on the doorstep you dont have one to stop paying your license of course

They are easily hidden!!

just because you have a tv does,nt mean your watching live tv.

Could be use for a old video player,dvd or game .

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence.

You do not need a TV Licence to view video clips on the internet, as long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system, or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.
:nod:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
michael555 said:
just because you have a tv does,nt mean your watching live tv.

Could be use for a old video player,dvd or game .

Makes no difference.

All you need to have is a tuner capable of receiving live TV signals on your premises and you need a TV licence.

That tuner, as mentioned previously in this thread, could be, amongst other things: A television; VCR; DVR; Freeview Box; Skybox; Cable Box; Computer TV Card and a mobile phone equipped to receive live television broadcasts.

That's the law.

Whether it's a just law or not is open to debate.

In fact the whole issue of the TV licence and BBC funding is open to debate.

Tis a high price we pay for advertising-free television and so-called quality drama.

I'll make a prediction though, I don't see the powers that be ever relinquishing their TV licence fee. So I reckon one year the BBC will announce something like 'To offset not raising the TV licence fee the BBC will now be broadcasting limited advertising on some of it's services'.

Within three years it will be full advertising on all channels and a licence fee of £180.00.

Don't believe me? Wait and see ;)

Ask a Question