White strip when printing 4x6 pictures on my Canon i850

Bruce

I just printed some of my first digital pictures using my Canon i850.
The photo quality is excellent but for some reason, the pictures print
with a 5/8" white strip on the short side. The pictures were taken
with a Minolta F100. I am using Canon Photo Paper Plus glossy 4x6
paper.

Is this a printer setup issue or some sort of aspect ratio setting on
the camera?

Taliesyn

jkh said:
yes thats exactly what is happening. Use a good photo editing program
and crop/resize your photos to fit 4x6 or whatever u are trying to
use. Obviously u will want to keep the aspect ratio the same when
enlarging. You will have to enlarge slightly to fill the entire 4x6
frame then crop. Not hard to do at all.

You can mess with your camera. resolution to find better size prints
that may make things easier.

I simply use my desktop publishing software (Serif Page Plus) and make
a 4 x 6 page. I then place red guide lines around the page border.
Then I insert a 4 x 6 digital photo, move it around, deciding what
won't get printed. The red guide lines always stay on top of photo,
so I can move the photo around, and anything outside the red lines
won't get printed. In effect, I'm cropping my photos without actually
physically cropping them. I have setups made for 4 x 6, 5 x 7, and full
page. Works great. And it being a desktop publishing program, I can add
text, clip art, you name it. This is vastly superior to those photo
printing/viewing programs that come with digital cameras. I've seen
Fuji's and Olympus's and they just don't cut it for me; they're designed
for beginner's since they don't give you all the printing options.

-Taliesyn

jkh

I simply use my desktop publishing software (Serif Page Plus) and make
a 4 x 6 page. I then place red guide lines around the page border.
Then I insert a 4 x 6 digital photo, move it around, deciding what
won't get printed. The red guide lines always stay on top of photo,
so I can move the photo around, and anything outside the red lines
won't get printed. In effect, I'm cropping my photos without actually
physically cropping them. I have setups made for 4 x 6, 5 x 7, and full
page. Works great. And it being a desktop publishing program, I can add
text, clip art, you name it. This is vastly superior to those photo
printing/viewing programs that come with digital cameras. I've seen
Fuji's and Olympus's and they just don't cut it for me; they're designed
for beginner's since they don't give you all the printing options.

-Taliesyn

Yes, publisher, thumbs-plus, ulead photo explorer all do a very nice
job along with picsprint which is very nice.

What is nice about everything but publisher is the lossless rotation.
I always scan as tif files before editing in photoshop. I usually do
my cropping in there as I do many other things as well.

If you enjoy working in layers and creating some beautiful portraits,
paintshop pro or photoshop is the thing to learn. Its amazing.

A very neet but not as versitle program that is extremely inexpensive
is photosoap. I started off in that some years ago with layers and
got into photoshop afterward. Easy, fast and fun to work in. Its
certainly not a replacement for PS or PSP but its something.

Kande

I just printed some of my first digital pictures using my Canon i850.
The photo quality is excellent but for some reason, the pictures print
with a 5/8" white strip on the short side. The pictures were taken
with a Minolta F100. I am using Canon Photo Paper Plus glossy 4x6
paper.

Is this a printer setup issue or some sort of aspect ratio setting on
the camera?

It is "some sort of aspect ratio"-problem...
See http://www.digicropper.com

Kande

Kevin Morgan

In said:
(e-mail address removed) (Bruce) wrote in message (e-mail address removed)>...

It is "some sort of aspect ratio"-problem...
See http://www.digicropper.com

Kande

I've found this too. It's the paper! Some 6x4 paper (most 6x4 paper in
fact) is not really 6x4 - it tends to be 10cm x 15cm. If you use Canon
6x4 it really is 6x4 so prints to the edge.

Kev

FredBillie

<< From: (e-mail address removed) (Kande)
Date: Sat, Aug 30, 2003 8:02 AM

(e-mail address removed) (Bruce) wrote in message
I just printed some of my first digital pictures using my Canon i850.
The photo quality is excellent but for some reason, the pictures print
with a 5/8" white strip on the short side. The pictures were taken
with a Minolta F100. I am using Canon Photo Paper Plus glossy 4x6
paper.

Is this a printer setup issue or some sort of aspect ratio setting on
the camera?

It is "some sort of aspect ratio"-problem...
See http://www.digicropper.com

KandeYou are correct that it is an aspect ratio problem if he is just selecting 4X6
paper in the Canon Image Browser Driver (Mac version, PC similar) BUT, if he
selects borderless 4X6 paper, then he will get full bleed prints (with some
auto cropping of course) because the picture is enlarged so the full 6 inches
is used. My experience is that unless you composed the picture too when taking
the picture, the result is pleasing.

FredBillie

<< From: Kevin Morgan (e-mail address removed)-kay
Date: Sat, Aug 30, 2003 4:20 PM

In said:
(e-mail address removed) (Bruce) wrote in message (e-mail address removed)>...

It is "some sort of aspect ratio"-problem...
See http://www.digicropper.com

Kande

I've found this too. It's the paper! Some 6x4 paper (most 6x4 paper in
fact) is not really 6x4 - it tends to be 10cm x 15cm. If you use Canon
6x4 it really is 6x4 so prints to the edge.Only if you select BORDERLESS printing for 4X6 in the printer driver for the
Canon software OR, if you crop the picture ahead of time to a 4X6 aspect ratio
in your picture processing software.