White goods

Reaction score
The display on my washing machine is flickering and when there is a wash I hear a loud almost like a clunking/screeching noise like the brushes are connecting then disconnecting

its weird, hard to describe

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I'd try your local small time repair man first (not the big companies, who charge a fortune) and just ask him if it's repairable.

Problem with machines that old is getting spares. And if it's something big, like the motor, it could cost a lot to fix. :(

Reaction score
Ive seen spare motors and stuff for about 30, issue is fixing fitting them. The tools aint a problem its the know how.

However would still be nice to know why its doing what it is before making the attempt at fixing it

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Apart from the obvious things like split water hoses and broken drive belts washing machine faults are usually the Motor; the solenoid-operated valves, the drum bearing or the control PCB. Yours sounds like the drum bearing but I could be wrong.

Eight years is actually about the life cycle of your average washing machine, light use or not, most of mine have died after that time but rarely before.

I have repaired some of my past machines and I'd say in my experience it's not worth repairing them, usually turns out to be a false economy (this is because I have found that once one component goes faulty, the rest usually follow in quick succession). And imo not worth paying somebody to repair them unless it's a seriously expensive model, like costing over £500 or so.

You can pick up a machine for around £150, Indesit make good budget models, when you figure out how that cost breaks down over 5 to 8 years, it's actually pretty good value for money.

I'm also wondering how asking for make and model may help anybody here decipher problem? :confused:

Ask a Question