Subject: Which ps for XP2100+
From: "sdlomi" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 02/07/03 00:14 Pacific Daylight Time

Can I buy an adequate power supply for the XP2100+ T'bred for $30.00?
There
will be a dvd, cdrw, 30-gig h/d, ECSk7S5A mobo, 512 meg ddr ram, 2 desktop
speakers(no subwoofer), 16meg video(ugh!), and NO overclocking.
What brands, if any, might work? Thanks in advance,
sdlomi......................sorry I posted in error to o'clocking group

Visit this page to read an article called Choosing the Right Power Supply -

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/

If you are ignorant on the subject, the above article should be read, because
the latest AMD Athlon and Pentium 4 processors draw most of their power from
the +12V rail, which was not the case with earlier processors, which draw most
of their power from the +5V rail. Therefore, if a PSU designed to run earlier
processors is used to run the latest processors, the +12V rail might not be up
to the job.

"High Power For Power Users - 13 Power Supplies In The Spotlight" - very
interesting reading on Toms Hardware -

"A reliable, potent power supply is required to prevent instability and system
crashes. THG took a close look at 13 power supplies rated higher than 400
Watts. The test showed that lines supplying the system with +3.3, +5 and +12
Volt lines generated, on average, 20 Watts less overall power than was promised
by the product name or product branding." -

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/index.html

Eric,
PC Buyer Beware!
http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

rAD

sdlomi said:
Can I buy an adequate power supply for the XP2100+ T'bred for $30.00?
There
will be a dvd, cdrw, 30-gig h/d, ECSk7S5A mobo, 512 meg ddr ram, 2 desktop
speakers(no subwoofer), 16meg video(ugh!), and NO overclocking.
What brands, if any, might work? Thanks in advance,
sdlomi......................sorry I posted in error to o'clocking group

The ECS K7S5A is famous for needing 28AMPs @ 3v (boot errors). Tbreds run
cool. I'm using a Sparkle 300 Watt FSP300-60ATV on an ECS K7S5A running a
hot Palomino Core CPU...$33 shipped...from newegg...no problems

BTW, if any of you use the Cheapoman OC BIOS be sure to set System BIOS
Cashable to Enable! Had boot errors on two different boards until I did
this.

larrymoencurly

sdlomi said:
Can I buy an adequate power supply for the XP2100+ T'bred
for $30.00? There will be a dvd, cdrw, 30-gig h/d, ECSk7S5A
mobo, 512 meg ddr ram, 2 desktop speakers(no subwoofer),
16meg video(ugh!), and NO overclocking. What brands, if
any, might work?

Any really good 300W, like these:

300W Fortron/Sparkle, $21.99: www.pcdirect.com/product.asp?Sku=300ATX
(this company sometimes has coupons -- check www.pricewatch.com ,
www.fatwallet.com , or www.anandtech.com ).

300W Fortron/Sparkle, large fan, $29.99:
www.directron.com/fsp30060pn.html

300W Fortron/Sparkle: $27.00: www.directron.com/fsp30060atv.html

300W Lite-on, $18.99: www.directron.com/lit30atxserp.html

300W Fortron/Sparkle, $22.00:
www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=58&manufactory=1389&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

300W Fortron/Sparkle, $27.00:
www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=58&manufactory=1389&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

Since your mobo is a K7S5A, it runs the CPU from the +5V rail, so you
don't need a lot of amps from the +12, and even the Lite-On's 12A @
+12V will be fine. With mobos like that, look for an adequate
+3.3V/+5V combined power capacity, and in the case of the Lite-On it's
250W, one of the highest, higher than that rating of even many 400W or
larger PSUs. This is a monster PSU, but it has one drawback: no
square 4-pin ATX12V connector for mobos that need it.