• Colour Laser

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What sort of printers do you own? I've got a cheap colour laser (£150), cheap B&W laser (£40) and an A3 inkjet - acquired over the last 8 years. I'm in love with the colour laser as it was a bit of a bargain at that price and came out about the same cost as getting my university work printed in colour at a printing shop (for dissertations etc...).

If I consolidate, I'd probably go for a cheap £50 inkjet as the quality is so good now, and cartridges can be cheap (depending on the type). Would be much smaller than my current 3 (takes up most of my room!).

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
On my office desk I have an HP inkjet A3 series printer and at home an A4 size HP inkjet. I agree that a cheap (Under £100) printer is what most folks would need, it just does not make sense spending several hundred and later find out the cartridges are no longer available.

I have a few HP 5 series inkjet printers in use at the office and they doi a great job. A Samsung B&W Laser printer has also performed flawlessly and is very cheap in comparision to inkjet printers. The only downside to it is high power consumption and waiting time for the first print. Quality of the printing is very superior compared to the inkjets.

Reaction score
canon i550 printers

Canon i550:eek: possibly the worst printer i have ever owned! Thinking of getting an all-in-one, but no sure which to go for. Trusty HP 670i as a back up very, reliable:D

Reaction score
dont buy canon

Some crappy canon, which is going flying soon biggest bit of poo out, may get an all in 1, or just a decent HP instead

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have a canon i865 inkjet and my parents use an old HP deskjet

Reaction score
2xCanon iP2000;) can`t fault them:thumb: I would purchase no other only Canon:thumb: I have learn`t my lesson;)

Reaction score
I have had a few printers over the last few years and have found that HP ones are generally reliable, well priced, and easy to use

I currently have a HP psc 2110 bought from comet for £68 (reduced from £115)
This was an emergency purchase as my 6 year old HP officejet 600 had developed a terminal fault (clean/no clean)

However, I have gone through three HP deskjet 450 (at £220 each!) for use with my laptop
Each has been replaced at roughly the end of a years use, and each has failed for a different reason!
An ideal printer for mobile use, due to the long battery life (no need to plug in for at least 60 minutes), but let down by the poor reliability
One final advantage is these used the same cartridges as the all-in-one printer
As a result I am now on a Canon i90 (still at £200 each!) but this goes through vastly more ink at roughly 1 cartridge every 100 pages...!

Reaction score
I have the Epson Photo RX500. I paid close to £185 for it at the time thought it was a bargain with all those specs. It does give fantastic prints, at a price. It holds six separate cartridges averaging about £16 each

Scary price to renew them all for originals

Last edited:

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
I hace the canon ip4000 One of the best things i own to do with my computer JUST EXCELLENT:thumb: also the cd printing feature is v.gd:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
HP PSC1205 All in one thing....

Its ok, i dont use it that much but is dead handy when i need it.

Starting to be tempted by a photo printer of some kind though....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have an HP Photosmart 7960 colour inkjet and a Brother HL2030 mono laser printer.

I'm really pleased with both, especially the Brother. And it has a Linux driver available.

I've tried most makes and I definitely favour HP printers.

I've owned two Canons, both inkjets, one was a complete load of tosh, I took it back, the other was distinctly average.

Prior to the Brother printer, I had a Samsung mono laser printer for five years solid use and eventually wore it out. That was also a great little printer for the money.

I'm not fond of all-in-ones, everybody I know who's owned one hasn't been happy with theirs, whatever the make. I have a seperate Epson Scanner and a seperate fax machine.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm not fond of all-in-ones, everybody I know who's owned one hasn't been happy with theirs, whatever the make.

I don't agree....

My HP PSC 1350 has been faultless and does everything i need, with a 4800Dpi print it does all my scans and photo's with superb quality....and iv'e also printed hundreds of DVD covers with it.

At the end of the day i think paying £200 plus for a dedicated photo printer is money wasted, i get the same results with my Hp Psc and the right paper and decent ink, it's all about setting the printer up properly at the end of the day, if you take the time to set and experiment then you'll get the results you want, but most people just connect the usb cable, run the driver and then wonder why they get problems...

Take my Trusty Psc anyday.....:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
I don't agree....

My HP PSC 1350 has been faultless and does everything i need, with a 4800Dpi print it does all my scans and photo's with superb quality....and iv'e also printed hundreds of DVD covers with it.

At the end of the day i think paying £200 plus for a dedicated photo printer is money wasted, i get the same results with my Hp Psc and the right paper and decent ink, it's all about setting the printer up properly at the end of the day, if you take the time to set and experiment then you'll get the results you want, but most people just connect the usb cable, run the driver and then wonder why they get problems...

Well, gotta say, that's good to hear :)

I must admit, I was begininning to worry about them all-in-ones, I thought 'they can't all be bad or they wouldn't sell'

So, like I said, good news.

My Photosmart Printer, I bought from Dabs, it was literally half price at the time, I paid £110.00, it was listed everywhere else at £220.00.

The mono laser Brother HL2030 now sells for a minimum of £80.00, typically £100.00, I got it for £50.00 from Misco.

It really does pay to read reviews and watch out for bargains/special offers :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
I have a HP Photosmart 7450 for my digital camera and a Epson C46

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
I don't agree....

Have to say I love my Brother 620CN All in one & can't imagine how I ever did without it :D My old inkjet (Epsom) has been relegated to the cupboard & my earlier scanner (a cannon) is now serving as a mouse pad for my son's computer (I couldn't find anywhere else to put the damn thing) in the meantime my all in one takes up little more space than the scanner did plus I get a photocopier, fax & answering machine thrown in with no additional sacrifice of space. I love it & the only 'trouble' I've ever had with it was figuring out how to use the fax (I'd never used one before):p :D

Reaction score
i have a hp psc 750, printer scanner and copier :cool:

im very impressed actually, its going into its 3rd year now :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Yes, good point michael :) lack of problems means nothing without a timeframe, I've had mine 2 years now & also no problems.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Epsom CX 5400 all in one . Does quite a good job of most things . Into its second year now and running ok . Haven't had the time to check out all its functions yet . Picture quality printing looks ok to me , best with epsoms own ink for this . For general stuff alternative inks are fine and pretty cheap . Cost under a £90 from Curry's of the net . :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
What model is your one? :)

Brother MFC-620CN :D

Sorry I mucked up on the model number b4, will have to blame the flu for that one:)

Last edited:

Ask a Question