Which One

Reaction score
I have been very dogmatic in my choice of components for a new `build it myself PC', in that I have bought the best I can afford. That should give a benchmark to my financial position.

You will notice from the list below that I have not included a graphics card which is the reason
for this request.

Now I know there are a lot of gamers out there who will be itching to tell me that their or their dream card is ..whatever…BUT I have to point out that this machine will principally be my workhorse and not for gaming, I have another one for that.

I require a card that won’t break the bank but will handle video and
images effortlessly and marry into this system.

There will be another hard drive probably 250-300gb for backup etc.
(I haven’t made my mine up yet)

Case: …………….. GigaByte 3D Aurora Silver ATX

PSU:………………..Atrix 720W Silent Dual Rail ATX

Motherboard: . MSI S775 Intel P35 ATX Audio Lan DDR3

Processor:………Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, S775, 3.0 GHz, 1333MHz FSB, Conroe Core,

Heatsink:………..Zalman CNPS9500-AT Socket 775

[font="]Graphics...........Da Da!!
[/font]

[font="]Memory...........2 X 2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 Gold GX XTC Dual Chan.[/font]

[font="]Hard Drive:…. Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500 GB SATA [/font]

Second HD………?

The operating system will be Vista Ultimate (My first soiree after XP) I look forward to any discussion and help.

Thanks

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Are you in the UK? I'll assume you are.

If you dont want to game i would suggest something like the 8600 GT, Its a DX10 card and as your going for Vista you may as well get the hardware to match. :)

Whats your budget for the overall build?

What is the motherboard exactly? If its DDR3 only then you will need to reconsider the RAM you mentioned as that only DDR2. But if its one of those board that will do DDR 2 + DDR3 then its not a problem. ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you aren't going to do any gaming at all, then any modern PCIe card will do fine - I would probably suggest something like this (8400GS series):

Asus 8400GS 256mb DVI VGA HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

The reason being that is is a DX10 card with plenty of RAM. There will be cheaper cards that are faster (like an X800 refurb), however as you won't be doing any gaming at all on this machine you would probably benefit more from the expanded feature set (DX10, outputs etc...) than the raw power.

It's less than £30, and as long as you don't do any gaming on the machine it will run everything without a hitch :) You could go for something more expensive, but I don't think you'd see any benefit for 2D work.

Ask a Question