Which One Would You Get?!

Reaction score
Hello, I'd love someone with some knowledge to point me in the right direction!! I'm stuck between these 3. Which one would you choose?!

HP Pavillion DV6920EA £537

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5750
(2 Ghz, 667 Mhz, 2 MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium
3 GB Memory
250 GB Hard disk drive
Blu-ray DVD combo drive
15.4" widescreen display
Ethernet & Wireless networking
Webcam with integrated microphone
nVidia GeForce 8400M GS graphics
dedicated 256 mb Graphics Memory

Acer Aspire 5920G £518

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5750
(2 GHz, 667 MHz, 2 MB Cache)
4 GB Memory
250 GB Hard Drive
BLU RAY DISC COMBO DRIVE
15.4" CrystalBrite widescreen Display
ATi Mobility Radeon HD3470 Graphics Card
dedicated 256 mb Graphics Memory
Wireless enabled

HP DV9823EA £489

AMD Turion 64X2 Processor TL-60
(2.0 GHz, 1600 MHz, 1 MB Cache)
3 GB Memory
160 GB Hard Drive
Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Rewriter
17" BriteView Widescreen Display
NVIDIA GeForce 7150 Graphics Card
Integrated Webcam
Wireless Enabled

Thanks

Jewels

Reaction score
Hi Jewels :wave: :wave: :wave:

Welcome to the forum...
In my opinion, go for the first one you have listed..Stay away from the Ac*r altogether..

Reaction score
jewels26 said:
Hello :0)

I had been told to go for the Acer :0S Are they that bad?

Erm how do I put it. Lets see, I reapir 100 plus Acers a week..Its not so much the actual computer that is crap, its the stupid Acer Empowering Technology that causes all kinds of crap with the computers..Then when you are dealing with probably the worst Customer support in computer land..I just say stay clear of them..One day when Acer decide to up their support a bit and remove all the crap software they think is securing computers, people might actually start rating them again...

Reaction score
To be honest if you wait till after Christmas, PC World, Currys & Staples will all be having sales on Boxing Day & you may well be able to get a much better deal than buying before Christmas.

Reaction score
I'm confused now. I had some doubts about the Acer and you've just confirmed, it's off my list. So the best HP one is??????? I would have thought the 1st one coz it has dedicated graphics. But the price is good on the third one, I haven't had an Intel chip before, the one I have now is an Athlon 64 which has served me well but is the Turion any good?!

I get nervous parting with my money! :0S

Reaction score
jewels26 said:
Oh. Do they always have sales on Boxing Day?!
Erm the majority of big stores have sales on from Boxing day...
Go for the first one..It may be a touch more expensive and have a slightley smaller screen, but otherwise I'd say it pips the 3rd in evey other way...

Reaction score
I might be starting a debate here :0) but can anyone tell me which processors to avoid? Which Brands to avoid and also which is better; ATI or Nvidia? Atleast that way if I have to buy one without researching it I'll have a better idea what to get. I don't want to buy a cr@p one coz I have no idea what I'm looking for! lol

Reaction score
I agree with Madx 1st one good specs.
Avoid Acer, Mesh & Advent.
Boxing Day sales will net you a good bargain.:thumb:

Reaction score
jewels26 said:
I might be starting a debate here :0) but can anyone tell me which processors to avoid? Which Brands to avoid and also which is better; ATI or Nvidia? Atleast that way if I have to buy one without researching it I'll have a better idea what to get. I don't want to buy a cr@p one coz I have no idea what I'm looking for! lol

In my opinon Nvidia are better than ATI. What are you going to be using the computer for? Out of them all I would go for the first one as that has a better GFX card.

Thanks

Reaction score
jewels26 said:

I don't think a debate is the word..You will get varied opinions from people who have had experience with different brands..One paticular proccessor brand may be good for one persons applications, but not for another persons..I think the majority of folk on this forum go for nVidia, while we have one or two that swear by ATI..As for what brands to avoid, again, you are going to get peoples opinions based on their experience, and just because they had a crap experience doesn't mean the paticular brand they had is crap...Funnily enough, I say stay away from Acer, because of the amount of them I repair, but I actually have 3 Acer laptops and a desktop..Albeit set up how I want and not the way they want..They aren't to bad, once you have sorted them to a degree that you like..Sorry for the rambling here...:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Neither ATI or Nvidia are better than each other, it's the specification and pricing of each particular card that should concern you.

People who practice brand loyalties are not blessed with a great deal of grey matter, in my opinion.

Intel, right now, make the best processors but in a few months AMD may hold that crown.

There's nothing wrong with AMD CPU's though.

Factors to consider should be price, performance, size of memory and hard disk, dedicated or integrated graphics (dedicated is best) and brand.

As others have said, avoid Acer and especially avoid Mesh, but do take a look at the Novatech site, they sell good machines as a rule.

Were I going to buy a laptop I'd get a Toshiba, no contest.

Ok, I may consider a Sony Vaio, but that's it.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
In order of laptops i have had and people that i know that have these laptops,

Toshiba
LogiQ
Samsung
Sony

All the dedicated graphics for the £500 - £600 range of laptops are pretty similar, ideally for your money you want a Core 2 duo, the biggest Harddrive available, at least 2Gb of memory and Vista.

If i were going to get another laptop it would be a LogiQ, good looking, reliable, good spec, compact and again look really good.

http://www.pcnextday.co.uk/products/ProductList.asp?ParentGroupCode=CSL&GroupCode=CSL2

I have the one in white thats £483.

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone :0) I have a fairly good idea what to look for now. I think I'll wait for the sales and hopefully get a bargain. You lot have been really helpful though, I've posted this on other sites and no one wanted to help me out so thanks again everyone!

Jewels

Ask a Question