Which Kindle?

Reaction score
So which Kindle to go for?
Kindle, Kindle Touch or Kindle 3G?
It's a present for my aunts birthday and it's going to be a family present.
Also included will be a voucher to buy some books online as well.

Now Aunty is not a great pc user, but her partner is.
Looked at John Lewis today.
Kindle (£89) + Power Supply (£14.99) + Cover with backlight (£49.99).
So any advice most welcome.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well, its self explanatory tbh....

Does she want a connection while out and about? If yes then the 3G is a must. As she's not to PC savvy as you say, my guess is no.

Touch might confuse any tech unaware folk. (?)

Kindles like Windows versions, if you have to ask then the basic 'Home Premium' edition is fine. ;)

Reaction score
I personally prefer the Kindle Touch. Really it comes down to personal choice and how much you want to pay.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Been thinking about getting one of those for myself, I'd personally go for the Touch on it's own, assuming it charges through the USB lead.

I can't really see any instance where I'd be away from home and suddenly just got to have a book downloaded to me there and then so I'll rely on plain old downloads via a PC to obtain books.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What you can do, which is what my GF does if shes out of range of my network, is buy it a book on the Amazon site via her mobile, and just connect to a public wifi or use her phone as a personal hotspot to sync the download, it only takes a second to download a book. :)

But to be honest, she has that many books on it at the moment they would probably last a while!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
If weight is a consideration, the lightest of all is the ordinary wi-fi model at 170 grams. The Touch is slightly heavier, 213 grams and the keyboard is heaviest of all 247 grams.

None of them are of "War and Peace" proportions, lol, but Ive got the latter (keyboard) model, and it certainly feels a bit weighty to tote around in my handbag.

Regarding protective cases, the ones Amazon sell are undoubtedly very nice, but quite pricey. If anyone is interested in alternative choices (at half the price,) you might want to take a look at Mobilefun.uk, or Duragadget

They both sell cases with a "kick-stand" for Kindle. Very useful if you want to prop-up your e-reader to allow you to be hands-free whilst taking a coffee-and-bikkie break. (I've got the one from Duragadget. It's an excellent fit and wearing well.):thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Personally I think the 3G is well worth going for - it's free wherever you are in the world which is excellent. However if she won't need a connection when out and about then the non-3G version should be fine for her. The leather cases are also good, but unless she wants to read whilst her partner is asleep I'd just go for the normal leather one without the light. It apparently really runs down the battery, and is quite expensive for what it is.

I've not had a go with the Kindle Touch yet, but I don't like how the advert doesn't actually show you the response time. The response time of the non-touch Kindles is very good and something they are proud of, so that makes me think that it's probably not as good with the Touch.

Well there's my musings! I should probably add that Kindles are brilliant, I still love my 3G one after about 18 months' constant use.

P.S. What is the power supply for? Don't they come with a charger anymore?

Ask a Question