which has better quality, DVD or VCD?

G

which has better quality, DVD or VCD. I just finished making a movie on MM2 but when i recorded onto VCD (Burning Nero, encoded my movie and recorded it into VCD) and played it on my DVD player the movie appears Jumpy and poor quality

what i desperately need to know is what can i do to get the best quality when playing with my DVD player.i don't mind spening a resonable amount of money

please hel
shaan

J

John Kelly

Hi there,

Assuming the same original high quality video was used to create a DVD and
a VCD on playback the DVD will be clearly better. Therefore create a DVD
disk with your DVD authoring software and DVD burner.

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org
www.the-kellys.co.uk
All material gained from other sources is duly acknowledged. No Value is
obtained by publishing in any format other peoples work

P

print_maker

DVD = much better quality than VCD.

If you have a DVD burner, use the DVD software that came with it to burn a
DV-AVI from Movie Maker to DVD.

If not, go shop for a nice new burner :)

shaan said:
which has better quality, DVD or VCD. I just finished making a movie on
MM2 but when i recorded onto VCD (Burning Nero, encoded my movie and
recorded it into VCD) and played it on my DVD player the movie appears Jumpy
and poor quality.
what i desperately need to know is what can i do to get the best quality
when playing with my DVD player.i don't mind spening a resonable amount of
money.

G

If you use Nero to create a VCD/DVD from a WMV created by WMM2, you probably won't be pleased with the results (as you've noticed). Instead, you should create a AVI file (which, unlike WMV, is uncompressed) and use that when burning your VCD/DVD

Nevertheless, if you define "reasonable" as < $~300, and everything else being the same, a DVD will be better quality. DVD will also deliver the "best" quality from your DVD player. But if your TV is "plain jane", you may not be able to notice the difference; however, it will probalby be quite noticiable on HDTVs.

Personally, I've been trying both lately and find VCDs to be acceptable for routine everyday use (and at less than $0.10/ea for a CD-R I skip the hassle of burning to a DVD-RW first before committing to a DVD-R). The biggest problem I have day-to-day with VCDs doesn't have to do with the quality, but with navigating the menus using the remote (with VCD you can only use the buttons - the arrow keys don't work). However, for things that you expect to be viewing years from now (i.e., wedding video), you'd better use DVD today because in 10 years everybody will have HDTV

Da

----- shaan wrote: ----

which has better quality, DVD or VCD. I just finished making a movie on MM2 but when i recorded onto VCD (Burning Nero, encoded my movie and recorded it into VCD) and played it on my DVD player the movie appears Jumpy and poor quality

what i desperately need to know is what can i do to get the best quality when playing with my DVD player.i don't mind spening a resonable amount of money

please hel
shaan

Ask a Question