Which external HDD to get for PCs?

Ant

Thats what I always do. It works too.

Not for me.Like I said, I am just powerless. :(

Wota wimp. It isnt hard to drive an aircraft carrier thru any bureaucracy.
:p

Hmm. Interesting.

Its just plain wrong, and there was a recent report in here of one that does it fine.
OK.
--
o/~ All the little ants are marching, red and black antennae waving...
they all do it the same... they all do it the same... way... o/~ --Ants
( )

Ant

No. That is a 2.5" drive, the Ultra is a 3.5" and it has no
HDD--you add your own.

Ah. Hmm, I can't find any Ultra 3.5" ones on cdw.com. I guess that brand
is out. :(
--
o/~ All the little ants are marching, red and black antennae waving...
they all do it the same... they all do it the same... way... o/~ --Ants
Marching song by Dave Matthews Band
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
( )

Andre Majorel

Interesting. Did Samsung just started making HDDs?

They must have been at it for at least a few years because I
just discovered a 80 GB at work. I assume their drives were only
marketed to OEMs before recently. Don't some Dell desktops have
Samsungs in them ?

Their SpinPoint 166 run cool and are reasonably fast and quiet.
No major problems in my limited experience.

Ant

They must have been at it for at least a few years because I
just discovered a 80 GB at work. I assume their drives were only
marketed to OEMs before recently. Don't some Dell desktops have
Samsungs in them ?

Their SpinPoint 166 run cool and are reasonably fast and quiet.
No major problems in my limited experience.

Weird that this was my first time I have seen Samsung make regular HDDs.
Is it rare?
--
"The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon
the ant." --Indian
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: (e-mail address removed)
( ) or (e-mail address removed)

Arno Wagner

Previously Ant said:
On 10/3/2007 4:54 PM PT, Andre Majorel typed:
Weird that this was my first time I have seen Samsung make regular HDDs.
Is it rare?

Maybe it depends on geographic ares. Here the bare disks
have been available for at least 5 years at numerous
sources.

Arno

Gerald Abrahamson

Ah. Hmm, I can't find any Ultra 3.5" ones on cdw.com. I guess that brand
is out. :(

Then print out the item info from TigerDirect or Microcenter
and hand it to your boss. Tell him this is what the business
needs--and it is his job to get what the business needs (as
you do not have the authority to buy from sources that do
carry what is needed--as cdw does not carry it). If he
refuses, then get him to refuse your request in writing--and
keep it. Then buy whatever is the best (most expensive) from
cdw.

When it fails (which you expect to occur sooner rather than
later--based on reviews), you can pass the reason for the
failure onto your boss--because you requested, but were
denied, the authority to buy the not-expensive equipment the
business needed. Rather, you were required to buy from a
restricted/limited supplier who failed to carry what was
needed--and that restriction (which you tried to get
around--but was knowingly denied by management) caused the
problem.

Ant

Maybe it depends on geographic ares. Here the bare disks
have been available for at least 5 years at numerous
sources.

I am in L.A., CA, USA. You?
--
"Better (to be) an ant's head than a lion's tail." --Armenian and Maltese
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: (e-mail address removed)
( ) or (e-mail address removed)

Folkert Rienstra

Gerald Abrahamson wrote in news:[email protected]
[...]

Ahh, you want him to speak up. Just what the humble submissive
worker ant with no skills of his own needs.