Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
From: (e-mail address removed) (Mark)
Subject: Which drive?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:16 +0100 (BST)

Event Viewer gives me an error referring to my SCSI adapter and refers to
devices "\Device\Harddisk1\DR1" and "\Device\Harddisk2\DR2".
How do I find out which drives these are?

I've 2 hard disks, a DVD-ROM, and a CDRW on the SCSI adaptor.

Mark
-----

Mark,

Take a look at the following article.

159865 - How to Distinguish a Physical Disk Device from an Event Message
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;159865

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Mark

Mark said:
Event Viewer gives me an error referring to my SCSI adapter and refers to
devices "\Device\Harddisk1\DR1" and "\Device\Harddisk2\DR2".
How do I find out which drives these are?

I've 2 hard disks, a DVD-ROM, and a CDRW on the SCSI adaptor.
Any one?

OK, in Disk Management, are these the drives it calls Disk 1 and Disk 2?

Mark

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
From: (e-mail address removed) (Mark)
Subject: Re: Which drive?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:08 +0100 (BST)

OK, in Disk Management, are these the drives it calls Disk 1 and Disk 2?

Mark
-----

Mark,

I have seen these paths end with three things after Harddisk#\, DR#, Partition# and FT#. DR is simply an abbreviation for
Drive and should match the Harddisk# entry in the path before it. Partition# indicates the partion on that drive and FT#,
where FT is an abbreviation for Fault Tolerance set, indicates the Fault Talerance set the drive belongs to. Since your is
simply "\Device\Harddisk1\DR1" and "\Device\Harddisk2\DR2" both the Harddisk# and DR# represent the same as the
Disk # you see in Disk Management.

I hope this clears it up a little.

Bill said:
I have seen these paths end with three things after Harddisk#\, DR#,
Partition# and FT#. DR is simply an abbreviation for Drive and should
match the Harddisk# entry in the path before it. Partition# indicates the
partion on that drive and FT#, where FT is an abbreviation for Fault
Tolerance set, indicates the Fault Talerance set the drive belongs to.
Since your is simply "\Device\Harddisk1\DR1" and "\Device\Harddisk2\DR2"
both the Harddisk# and DR# represent the same as the Disk # you see in
Disk Management.

I hope this clears it up a little.
It does, I was wondering about those endings.
Thanks again.

Mark