Which Antivirus to use?

Reaction score
Thought i'd pick your brains - as i know nothing much about this subject...at all!

at the moment i don't have any antivirus software (don't think i have anyway)
I had been using antivir but after an update it went horribly wrong.
Then i tried a trial for zonelab antivirus, but that's ran out and when i try to purchase it - it won't accept my address.
Not having much luck,
I have SPybot.
My computer uses XP
Any suggestions for good anti virus software that i can down load? preferably for free?
PS (i'm a total technophobe, please bear that in mind)
Thanks in advance
Dramaqueen

Reaction score
AVG Works for me

Hey there

I have, over the years, used a number of the commercial anti virus tools, but for the last 12+ months have simply used the free version of AVG from www.grisoft.com. You can also get it at www.download.com .

It seems to use less system resources that the commercial products. And I have had no infections since using it.

Cheers
HugeDave

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Antivir is still one of the better 'freebies' over and above AVG ... My personal "paid for" flavour of AV is still KAV.

DQ, what went 'horribly wrong' with Antivir?

:)

Reaction score
DQ, what went 'horribly wrong' with Antivir?

When i downloaded an upadated version it wouldn't actually launch itself. So i downloaded the updated version again (after uninstalling the original) and i for some reason then could not access the internet.

Anyway a friend of mine came to look at it, couldn't fathom it and ended up taking it back to settings before i did the download.

Think my computer might be a little poorly anyway. When it's switched on you know the little scrolling blocks that go along the bottom of the screen - well, they're green ( they were blue at one point) does this mean anything?

Anyway, back to antivirus - do you think i should try to download again? I actually used it on your suggestionfrom a previous post eons ago.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep, I would try it again ... the new version 7 caused their servers to take a bashing and people had trouble downloading the def updates.

Run CCleaner and then Defrag your system ... then try installing Antivir.

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Antivir is the best freebie.

They recently upgraded it from V.6.0 to V.7.0

There is a note on their site saying that due to the demand on their server, it won't automatically update from V6.0 to V7.0.

Therefore you have to uninstall V6.0; Download V7.0; do a fresh install; update.

It should work fine for you then.

Reaction score
I actually like Avast

its actually good and its freeware!

and unlike my least favourate NORTON
avast does not SLOW down ones pc!!!

go for Avast

Ask a Question