Where to Find Old Hardware?? Looking for Maxtor One Touch ExternalHDD!

Prisoner at War

Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
want it new!

Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??

I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....

TIA!!

Ed Cregger

Prisoner at War said:
Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
want it new!

Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??

I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....

TIA!!

In the rare instance that it has not occurred to you as yet, eBay is a good
source for old NOS parts.

Ed Cregger

Grinder

Ed said:
In the rare instance that it has not occurred to you as yet, eBay is a good
source for old NOS parts.

It's startling how often civility can be mistaken for sarcasm.

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Prisoner at War said:
Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
want it new!
Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??
I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....

Any specific reason?

Arno

Prisoner at War

-----------

Thank you. No sarcasm was intended.

Ed Cregger

I searched eBay and amazon, and what they have are used...I want it
*new* -- hence my curiosity about warehouse surpluses....

Prisoner at War

I just gotta ask ... why?

I hate to disappoint you, but the reason is banal and generally
idiotic: it matches the one I currently have! Not only would another
One Touch stack perfectly on top, but they'd look alike. ^_^
Try eBay. That being said, there are tons of external disk drives
available on the market. For examplet I just saw a 500GB external drive
at buy.com for $79.

True...but I'd even pay $100 for a factory-sealed-never-used One
Touch...unfortunately, people are only selling used ones for $50-$100
on eBay and amazon...now that to me really doesn't make sense! ^_^

Prisoner at War

Any specific reason?

Arno

Ah, just 'cause I have one already and want another external HDD to
match it!

But the wider question is, just where do unsold hardware go??

I mean, it's unlikely that every single piece ever manufactured was
sold, right?

If not sold, just what happens to them?

Do companies bury them the way Atari buried all those unsold E.T. game
cartridges? (And what the heck is the sense in spending money to
destroy product?? Why not give them away, even if only for the free
publicity???)

I do know that just warehousing something costs money, though....

Prisoner at War

I wouldn't know the I from the II, III, or 4 by pictures but
if you do you might try this link,http://www.google.com/products?q=Maxtor+"One+Touch"+-II+-III+-4+-IV

Thanks, man, but unfortunately no one there sells it, either.

I don't understand google's popularity...it pulls up so much
irrelevant garbage!

I think I'll just get a 32 or even 64GB USB flash drive...?
Unfortunately sellers are likely to still be selling at the
higher yesteryear prices instead of taking a loss adjusting
down to current market value. Such is often the case since
the lower priced sellers tend to sell out of old stock much
sooner.

http://www.Surpluscomputers.com,http://www.geeks.com, orhttp://www.amazon.commight also be worth checking in
addition to ebay. Then there'shttp://www.craigslist.org/
but for some items that seems like more trouble than it's
worth.

Thanks again...looks like this thing has gone extinct!

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Prisoner at War said:
Ah, just 'cause I have one already and want another external HDD to
match it!
But the wider question is, just where do unsold hardware go??
I mean, it's unlikely that every single piece ever manufactured was
sold, right?

Depends. Some manufacturers try to slightly undersupply and
units in stock are often low for items that do not sell well.
If not sold, just what happens to them?

Sold later or eventually thrown out. My local computer parts
supplier has only stock for things that sell well. Things that
not sell too well, they get from one central supplier (may be
different for different products) in Switzerland. But even things
that sell well occasionally show up as "no stock at supplier"
and when asking them they say something like it may take
4-10 weeks to get it or may not be possible at all because
the manufacturer is out of stock. With computer items being
low-margin items, my guess would be there is not a lot of
unsold stock to go around in the rest of the world either.
Do companies bury them the way Atari buried all those unsold E.T. game
cartridges? (And what the heck is the sense in spending money to
destroy product?? Why not give them away, even if only for the free
publicity???)

Very simple: The typical person wants to buy "a videogame".
If they get one for free, they mught not want to get another one.
So not giving the wirthless ones away but destroying them may
generate a future sale. At least that is the marketing PoV.
If the game is really bad, destroying it may also be the better
option.
I do know that just warehousing something costs money, though....

Indeed.

Arno

Squeeze

Prisoner at War wrote in news:8914769b-e450-4a5e-9fb3-6852a5c734f8@p39g2000prm.googlegroups.com
Ah, just 'cause I have one already and want another external HDD to
match it!
But the wider question is, just where do unsold hardware go??

To surplus hardware brokers.
And they sell it on to everyone else who buys in bulk and then you may
buy it from them.
I mean, it's unlikely that every single piece ever manufactured was
sold, right?

It will, eventually. No supply is endless.

DanielEKFA

Prisoner at War said:
Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
want it new!

Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??

I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....

Okay, sorry... I understand you don't want a used one because of the state
of the drive, but have you thought about getting a used one cheap just for
the casing? You could always just swap the drive inside for a new one?

Not sure which one it is, though, I have three different models of the
Maxtor, one in white plastic which is Firewire only (and broken), one in
blue plastic which is Firewire and USB2, and one which is aluminum and also
Firewire and USB2.

sdlomi2

Prisoner at War said:
Hi, I'm looking for the old Maxtor One Touch external HDD -- but I
want it new!

Surely there's unsold surplus in a warehouse somewhere??

I want the first model of this series -- the "Maxtor One Touch", and
not the One Touch "II" or "III" or "4"....

TIA!!
I don't know if anyone else has answered likewise, but I have one,
unopened, still in the fatory box. I bought it on ebay--it was too cheap to
pass it up. I also have another one, just smaller harddrive, that I have
been using about 10 months, and that's what brought my attention to it.
Maybe I could put it on Ebay for you to buy, if you are afraid of a direct
sale between us. Remove the obvious and join together to email. daniels_sam
at bellsouth.spamnet--just be sure to include the "underscore" between
names. Luck to you. sdlomi2

Rod Speed

kony said:
What ends up happening is products that don't sell fast
aren't stocked anymore, so the few remaining sell eventually
just slower.

A certain number will sit to cover warranty replacement
situations, then when that period is over they'd get sold in
mass. It's possible they would sell them with the
stipulation that the case had to be destroyed, only the
drive inside sold as OEM.

Give them away? That's a bit unrealistic isn't it?

Thats essentially what happens with the stuff that ends up free after rebate.

Rod Speed

I don't recall the exact figure but statistically only a
fraction of all products bought during the rebate period
actually result in the completion and cashing of a rebate
check by the consumer, so even free stuff isn't really
givaway-loss to the manufacturer.

Irrelevant to whether its still essentially free to the
consumer who chooses to avail themselves of the rebate.
I haven't seen many good rebate deals on hard drives since around the beginning of 2006.

Irrelevant to whether they do happen.
I don't mean one-off deals,

You cant ignore those.
I mean prior to that it seemed like every other week you could get
a 60-200GB (depending on how long ago vs capacity per platter
at the time) HDD for $40 or less after rebate, roughly 50% off.

There's plenty of other free after rebate deals on other products.

Michael Black

I don't recall the exact figure but statistically only a
fraction of all products bought during the rebate period
actually result in the completion and cashing of a rebate
check by the consumer, so even free stuff isn't really
givaway-loss to the manufacturer.

I haven't seen many good rebate deals on hard drives since
around the beginning of 2006. I don't mean one-off deals, I
mean prior to that it seemed like every other week you could
get a 60-200GB (depending on how long ago vs capacity per
platter at the time) HDD for $40 or less after rebate,
roughly 50% off.
Well so many people whined about the "unfairness" of rebates
that the companies pretty much dropped them. And as was
expected, the really great deals disappeared.

Companies can't give away stuff all the time, or give a really
great discount. Rebates were the tradeoff, offering a great
deal for those willing to make the effort.

The whiners didn't understand what the rebates were about,
so they killed the golden goose.

There was never any chance that things would be free if
every single item had to be free.

Michael

Prisoner at War

What ends up happening is products that don't sell fast
aren't stocked anymore, so the few remaining sell eventually
just slower.

A certain number will sit to cover warranty replacement
situations, then when that period is over they'd get sold in
mass. It's possible they would sell them with the
stipulation that the case had to be destroyed, only the
drive inside sold as OEM.

Give them away? That's a bit unrealistic isn't it?

I dunno...seems like it would generate publicity, a kind of
advertising in itself, not to mention consumer good-will (assuming the
product isn't a POS)...certainly better than spending more money
destroying it...
As
someone else already wrote it could potentially devalue
other products.

True -- I was just thinking that no matter what, it's going to cost
some money, so why not give it away for the positive publicity? I
mean, Atari spent millions, I read, to bury those E.T. carts! Heck,
for that, they should have just given it away. General Mills cereal
was giving away one-episode DVDs a year or two ago inside its cereal
boxes of classic TV shows...certainly made me much more likely to
purchase the whole season set (I still think "Barney Miller" is corny
but I could appreciate a bit more such that I would have bought a few
seasons)....
If you give away everything then you
certainly keep some people from buying instead. I'd imagine
they assume most people would rather have the newer product,
and since drive capacities went up over time the newer
product should have more capacity per $ too.

Well, I suppose brighter minds than mine has pondered and thoroughly
resolved this matter already, yes....
Maybe the better question is why you assume they would have
kept making them if they didn't have any expectation that
they'd sell them.

Well, I just didn't figure on them not making it anymore -- I mean, I
expected bigger capacities, but they totally changed the outside
shell, and I don't know if the current ones would stack with what I've
got, much less look right with it!
There might be some seller out there with
a few sitting on a shelf somewhere, perhaps at a store or PC
shop but you already see the problem with that- They have
stock because nobody can easily locate them as someone
selling the product. If you can get the UPC number off the
box, you might be able to call some computer shops or
general department superstores in larger metropolitan areas
and have them enter that UPC # into their system to see if
they can find stock there, or at other same name stores
linked into same database.

LOL, true story: just last week a local computer shop opened up, and I
saw in its window a sound card I'd been looking for to no avail for
about a month! The exact same thing!
Then again, you could just buy two of the newer version,
then you'd have a matching pair. Another alternative is of
course to buy two empty enclosures, pull the drive out of
the maxtor and buy another bare drive to populate both of
them.

True; I just thought that I'd save all my effort locating the original
version, instead of playing "mad scientist!" Oh well, this will be
the excuse to buy a new desktop...I've long had Dell's water-cooled
gaming rig in mind, but was waiting on Windows Vista...but it looks
like that's a dog of an OS!

BTW, I've got an old Pentium II machine running Win2000 or
something...I don't know 'cause I got it from someone who got it from
her job...like, what am I supposed to do with it, eBay it for $50?? I
took it 'cause it's a computer, after all, and she would have dumped
it in the trash and I'm such a pack-rat, even when it comes to other
people's stuff...I doubt even the local Salvation Army would want it
(did you know many a library do not want donations of used books?
It's true! Those library book sales they hold...they can't get rid of
old books as it is, never mind take on more!).

Prisoner at War

I don't recall the exact figure but statistically only a
fraction of all products bought during the rebate period
actually result in the completion and cashing of a rebate
check by the consumer, so even free stuff isn't really
givaway-loss to the manufacturer.

I haven't seen many good rebate deals on hard drives since
around the beginning of 2006. I don't mean one-off deals, I
mean prior to that it seemed like every other week you could
get a 60-200GB (depending on how long ago vs capacity per
platter at the time) HDD for $40 or less after rebate,
roughly 50% off.

Heehee, I got this One Touch around 2004 when buy.com was having a
coupon war with somebody!

Prisoner at War

Well so many people whined about the "unfairness" of rebates
that the companies pretty much dropped them. And as was
expected, the really great deals disappeared.

Huh? There was an "unfairness" controversy to rebate coupons??
Companies can't give away stuff all the time, or give a really
great discount. Rebates were the tradeoff, offering a great
deal for those willing to make the effort.

I think they did it as a kind of guerrilla marketing technique...at
least that's how it appeared to me as a consumer. If they really
wanted to give it away for free (or whatever low price it was
advertised) they'd have done it on the spot. Making a big deal out of
redeeming the coupon (who reads instruction manuals, much less keep
the UPC around??) seemed like a great way for them to advertise low
prices while usually charging more.
The whiners didn't understand what the rebates were about,
so they killed the golden goose.

I still see rebates...I think they're not as prevalent because the
"marketing wars" have been fought and done with...once one competitor
loses enough money and can't afford to offer rebates (despite all the
little hoops involved), the other needn't offer any either in order to
counter what would have been on offer...I remember around 2000, 2001
when there were lots of DVD offers online, like buy three and get a
fourth title free or something, and it got better and better with less
and less restrictions from more and more e-tailers....
There was never any chance that things would be free if
every single item had to be free.

Well, yeah, someone has to pay -- games need losers!

Prisoner at War

Okay, sorry... I understand you don't want a used one because of the state
of the drive, but have you thought about getting a used one cheap just for
the casing? You could always just swap the drive inside for a new one?

Well, yeah, except -- don't laugh -- that seems wasteful!
Not sure which one it is, though, I have three different models of the
Maxtor, one in white plastic which is Firewire only (and broken), one in
blue plastic which is Firewire and USB2, and one which is aluminum and also
Firewire and USB2.

I've got the one with USB 2.0 and FireWire 400. It's a really nice
design...don't know why they went with the boxed and square look
(something to do with those Chrysler Scion box-cars??)....