where to enable RRAS

osis

I need to configure RRAS for dial-in access to a group of Windows Terminal
Servers. The question is where to enable RRAS? What are the pros and cons
for enabling this on a DC or an ISA 2000 server. Would it be better to
enable on another member server? If so why? IAS is already configured on a
DC, would it be best to put the modem and enable RRAS there?

Rebecca Chen [MSFT]

Hi Osis,

I understand you want to know the pros and cons to enable RRAS on a DC or
an ISA 2k server. However, please note our newsgroup is focused on break
fix issues that are neither urgent, nor complex. If the issue is urgent to
your business, it is recommended that you contact Microsoft Customer
Support Services (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support
Professional can help you resolve your issue in a more efficient manner.
Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for a specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Personally, I agree with Janani that enabling RRAS on DC is not a recommend
way. Actually, you can enable RRAS on ISA 2k memeber server. After
installing ISA2k on the member server, you may noticed that RRAS service
is disabled.

You then can configured VPN client wizard in ISA2k, during this wizard,
RRAS service will be enabled and depends on ISA serivce. This is because
ISA NAT engine will be confict with RRAS engine. You need to use this
wizard in ISA 2k first.

After finish this wizard, open RRAS console to configure RRAS.

Come back to ISA, adding the network subnet when dailing up to ISA LAT
table.

Enable IP routing by right click IP packet filter->Propertes->Enble IP
routing.

For more details about how to configure ISA 2k, please go to
microsoft.public.isa newsgroup.

HTH!

However,

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

Microsoft Online Partner Support

From: "Janani [MSFT]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: where to enable RRAS
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 00:47:54 +0530
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.ras_routing

There might be some issues in enabling RRAS on the DC. See the below KB for
more info
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292822
Janani
rights."