Where to buy MP3s?

tdc

Reaction score
Hi
I have been looking at the different options for downloading mp3s.
Amazon, iTunes ect.
I have also found quite a few other sites offering mp3s at a quater of the price of the big 2,
Has anyone had experience with these sites.
Has to be safe and legal.
Thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do you have links to the two sites offering the more economical options?

Then perhaps folk here can determine whether they're legal or not.

And don't worry, if they are iffy I can always delete the links.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Tesco's ... no, really.

Naptser ... re-invented itself, now not illegal.

ODT ... founded by former Genesis frontman Peter Gabriel, reasonable PAYG

Virgin ... some not so cheap PAYG ... no iPod support. :lol:

Wippit ... some unusual stuff here.

HMV ... reasonable PAYG

Google Play ... pay-n-play

:user:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Buy most of my MP3's at Amazon as no DRM and reasonable prices and reliable..

I would be very careful of giving credit card details out to sites that you really don't know, most fraud nowadays is committed from Russian and eastern european sites...Your call though!

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As an alternative, how about something like Spotify? You don't actually own the music, but you can stream from your PC and quite a few other devices. There's even a "free" level of service.

https://www.spotify.com/uk/

There are others like www.last.fm and www.grooveshark.com

I'm not sure which of those last you play whatever you want and which act as more of a personalised radio station, but they all get good reviews.

Although it's not what you asked about, I thought I'd throw it out there in case you'd not heard of them before :).

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I would think ten times before I'd give my credit card details to any vendor or website. I trust Amazon more than any other site with my details and other handful of them, that's about it. Russian sites, you got to be kidding me! :rolleyes:

Buy only from sites which support the artists that way you are getting something legal, when MP3's are dirt cheap they are surely not legal and do not support the artists. I have only bought MP3's from Amazon and nowhere else. I mostly am into buying cd's rather than MP3's.

tdc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Like I said I am only interested in legal/ safe sites, and obviously would not pass on any card details.
Most of the sites I have found give Paypal as an option of payment which would seem to cover the payment security issue ( assuming you trust Paypal)!
It would seem from the replies that no one has actually used one of these sites which I guess says it all.

Ask a Question