Where do i plug these USB pins into my Mobo?

Reaction score
I just finished swapping my system over to my new Lian Li PC70 case. Everything's working fine (touch wood) but I can't figure out where the front USB connectors in the case plug into the motherboard. I have an Asus A7V333...I can see various USB pins, but I'm used to plugging 'proper' USB connectors into these. The connectors on the case are all seperate single pin ones...nine in all, labelled as follows:

Shield
VCC 1
DATA-1
DATA+1
GND 1

VCC 2
DATA-2
DATA+2
GND 2

I've checked my motherboard manual and scoured the board itself, but I can't figure it out.

Anyone got any ideas?:confused:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Boards with 6 USB ports usually have the facility of either additional two at the back (via a module) or two in the front (in the casing itself with wiring). Your board has 4 sockets and all four are at the back with 2 1.1 ver and 2 2.0 ver I am afraid there will be no connections on the board for any additional connector pins.

When I was buying the board this was one of the important things I checked and therefore had to get the casing with the proper wiring and ports in the front. I am afraid you have the facility in the casing but not on the board.

Your board specs gives me an indication that two back panel ports could be disconnected, check on the board if it is so. You can loose 2 at the back and plug in the front ones. It all depends what kind of connector you have on the board. If you have seven pins available loose out the shield and one GND, connect the balance seven pins (check the configuration of pin designation from the manual) that way it should work.

Sorry if it is bad news :(

I remember you mentioned when you saw the casing I bought that you would love to have two USB at the front which come handy, isn't it so?

Reaction score
Thanks for that info Quad...you've saved me a lot of time playing around with the pins!! Not a big deal for me at all really...the front USB connectors aren't important...I only use 2 rear sockets and i have 2 more on my keyboard for low power apps like my camera...My next mobo may be able to accomodate the case USB's but i have no need of them at the moment.:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
We at PC Review are always there when someone needs a helping hand :D

Reaction score
Originally posted by Quadophile
Boards with 6 USB ports usually have the facility of either additional two at the back (via a module) or two in the front (in the casing itself with wiring). Your board has 4 sockets and all four are at the back with 2 1.1 ver and 2 2.0 ver I am afraid there will be no connections on the board for any additional connector pins.

When I was buying the board this was one of the important things I checked and therefore had to get the casing with the proper wiring and ports in the front. I am afraid you have the facility in the casing but not on the board.

Your board specs gives me an indication that two back panel ports could be disconnected, check on the board if it is so. You can loose 2 at the back and plug in the front ones. It all depends what kind of connector you have on the board. If you have seven pins available loose out the shield and one GND, connect the balance seven pins (check the configuration of pin designation from the manual) that way it should work.

Sorry if it is bad news :(

I remember you mentioned when you saw the casing I bought that you would love to have two USB at the front which come handy, isn't it so?

Quad, M8...I think I can use the USB at the front as there are two additional USB hubs on the mobo currently not in use...I just need to get the pins in the right way round ...i think I may have sorted it. I don't understand why they have 9 seperate pins instead of a 'proper' connector:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't understand why they have 9 seperate pins instead of a 'proper' connector
That's so you can plug 'em in on any MB.

1 Vcc = +5V DC = Red
2 D- = Data - = White
3 D+ = Data + = Green
4 Gnd = Ground = Black

This is standard on all functional USB motherboards. On occasion, there is a 5th pin. This 5th pin is used for Shielding purposes and is rarely used. If used, Shield should be connected to Ground at the host only. No USB device should connect Shield to Ground. The receptacle bracket provides additional grounding through the computer case.

The orientation of each group of 4 pins is extremely important. Take particular care to check the location of the Vcc (power) pins. On some motherboards they are located side by side, and on others they are not.

Sorry I missed this post. :embarasse

Reaction score
Thanks, Mucks, but I already sussed it out and got the thing working...I think I was being lazy before and just got a couple of pins the wrong way round, so when I installed a new DVD ROM the other day, I decided to take another look...VOILA!

Thanks anyway m8:D

Ask a Question