When fix for pcAnywhere?

Rich Roller

I have the same problem that's been reported by several folks: MSAS seems
to go a bit looney when you're doing remote control using pcAnywhere...
multiple instances of MSAS tray icon (I've seen 10!) which usually go away
when you pass cursor over taskbar... slower performance, etc, etc.

Any word on if/when MSAS might be fixed so that this doesn't happen any
more?

Thanks.

-Rich

Rich

I just discovered some more symptoms...

For the target system which is running pcAnywhere in host-mode, its MSAS is
not updating or scanning. The definitions hadn't auto-updated in 10 days (I
could update them manually) and the nightly scans haven't been running
either (I could run a scan manually). These are in addition to the symptoms
previously mentioned.

I assume this is all related to the compatibility issue w/ pcAnywhere,
right?

-Rich

Rich

Since there hasn't been a response in 3 weeks, I wonder if MS is not
monitoring this newsgroup very closely?

-Rich

plun

Rich expressed precisely :
Since there hasn't been a response in 3 weeks, I wonder if MS is not
monitoring this newsgroup very closely?

-Rich

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Hi

Well, this must be Symantecs problem to solve.

MS uses built in remote control in XP.

Rich

I don't understand all the details but I know that pcAnywhere always worked
fine before. But upon installation of MSAS and then connecting via pcAny
MSAS goes crazy. Is it really Symantec's problem? If so, I'm a bit
pessimistic because I don't think Symantec is very good/quick about fixing
their less-widely-used software.

Another thought: Is there any chance that if I disabled XP's built-in
remote control software (RDP or whatever it is) that my pcAny vs. MSAS
problem would go away? I must say I'm confused about the true cause of the
problem, but this just popped into my head when I read the last posting.

-Rich

plun

Hi

You must probably remove MSAS to get PC Anywhere to run again, Symantec
and MS are no longer friends I believe ;)

Bill Sanderson

I doubt that disabling Remote Desktop (which you can do on the remote tab of
properties of My Computer) would help.

If there's a clear conflict between beta1 of Microsoft Antispyware and your
current PCAnywhere (do check with symantec as best you can to see whether
there are update versions)--I would expect this to be fixed with beta2. I
really don't expect to see a further refresh of beta1.

Rich

That was my hope... that MS would (be able to) resolve this conflict by
changing/fixing MSAS. If it depends on Symantec to fix the conflict I'm
pretty pessimistic about ever seeing a fix. Is there any timetable/plan for
MSAS Beta2 that you know of? -Rich