What's in your music?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
feckit said:
Always find Quad's threads good to read.
nod.gif

Just converting Vinyl to MP3 at the moment.:thumb:

Ouch!

How about converting MP3 to vinyl ;)

MTP

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by feckit
Always find Quad's threads good to read.
Just converting Vinyl to MP3 at the moment.

haha yeh theres always gotta be a funny guy somwhere.

well i suppose with the wonders of modern day technology it had to come down to the techheads enabling the everyday<read non audiophile> joe the ability to rip classic hits from his/her collection of vinyl to their ipod/mp3 player.

i know a few people that have invested in the usb record players and must say that imho i am NOT impressesed in the quality at all. but i cynical and jaded so umm yeh.

personally id rather set up a decent cardioid( or pending on the recording ie:live concerts etc a super cardioid to capture that essence) mic in front of the near-fields to render a good audio conversion, i find the shure sm 57 works fine and have even had good results with the cheaper behrenger c10s( yes they are a condensor) which i use to to mic up bongos and other percussion .

i guess it just comes down to personal taste really.

thanks for the kudos Quad. I may just be drawn into this forum a little more if there are good posts relating to this topic.

We`ll see.

Peace

Reaction score
nivrip said:
cguil_uk is quite right about noise induced deafness creeping up slowly over the years. I know because I do offshore medicals for the oil industry and see many people who have worked in noisy conditions (and some who have listened to loud music for years). The hearing loss is PERMANENT and never improves.It is important to keep well away from loud noise otherwise your hearing will deteriorate even more!!

You could always have an Audiogram performed which gives some idea of the extent of hearing loss (but no cure). My customers have an Audiogram every 2 years so that we can determine whether things are getting worse. If the hearing deteriorates badly they will fail the medical and be forcibly removed from the noise at work. They can, of course, continue to listen to loud music and eventually become almost totally deaf - it's their choice.

It's no fun being dependent on a hearing aid.

I was in the forces and now I suffer from tinnitus and loss of hearing which started to appear in my latter 50's caused by small arms fire, we were issued with ear plugs but they weren't very effective so now I have a NHS issue hearing aid. If I do not wear it my wife gets annoyed cause she reckons I ignore her.

Reaction score
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The Hz's and the dB's of Real Music![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Audible frequency range of musical instruments and the human voice. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]These for obvious reasons are acoustic instruments and unamplified. The frequency refers to fundamental tones only. To give an extreme example a massive church bell such as 'Big Ben' will produce low frequencies you can feel in your gut and yet the harmonics will go way beyond the range of human hearing. [/FONT]

Instrument Frequency range Hz

Piano (concert) 27.50 - 4,186.00
Bass Tuba 43.65 - 349.23
Double Bass 41.20 - 246.94
Cello 65.41 - 987.77
Viola 130.81 -1,174.00
Violin 196.00 - 3,136.00
Clarinet 164.81 - 1,567.00
Flute 261.63 - 3,349.30
French horn 110.00 - 880.00
Trombone 82.41 - 493.88
Trumpet 164.81 - 987.77
Guitar 82.41 - 880.00

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Human voice[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]These are the ranges demanded in classical opera, hence the decimal point accuracy... [/FONT]

Type of voice Frequency range Hz
Bass 87.31 - 349.23
Baritone 98.00 - 392.00
Tenor 130 - 493.88
Contralto 130.81 - 698.46
Soprano 246.94 - 1,174.70

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Interesting that a sound system will produce almost all the musical fundamentals of an orchestra without bothering the tweeter... thank Heaven for harmonics! [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Sound pressure levels[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]This is a simple scale based on every day observations similar to the beaufort wind scale. Remember that the decibel is a log scale so that a 3dB increase is a doubling of the actual sound energy, 10dB represents a ten fold increase. However to complicate matters the human ear is not linear and perceives a 10 dB increase as a very approximate doubling of volume. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]

Sound level (dB) approximate observed equivalent.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]0 Sound proof room, threshold of hearing[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
10 Rustle of leaves in a breeze.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]20 Whisper
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]30 Quiet conversation
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]40 Conversation at home
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]50 Typical outside conversation
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]60 Noise in a large shop (no musac ;-))
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]70 City street
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]80 Noisy office with typing (you need to raise your voice)
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]90 Underground railway train passing
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]100 Pneumatic Drill at 3 m
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]110 Prop aircraft taking off
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]120 Jet aircraft taking off - threshold of pain.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Remember that anything over 80 dB can damage hearing over time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Audible intensity of musical instruments[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]This is a guide to the sort of sound pressure levels acoustic instruments produce unamplified. No distances were given but I'd guess pretty close - a couple of metres perhaps. [/FONT]

Instrument Range measured in dB
Bass drum 35 - 115
Cymbal 40 - 110
Organ (orchestral) 35 - 110
Piano 60 - 100
Trumpet 55 - 95
Violin 42 - 95

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Surprises? Well I never thought a violin could produce more sound than a subway train, and the Piano seems surprisingly lacking in dynamics. It's also sobering to realise that few hi-fi systems will show the full dynamics of the first four on the list - but would you want to be in the room if they did? [/FONT]

([FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Copyright © 1999 (e-mail address removed) - http://www.tnt-audio.com)[/FONT]
Oh....thanks,I really want it.its a very useful information for all people, Who really love to listing music.

Reaction score
did any one try classical music.................o0o0o0o0o0o...........i love it.......heart touching songe of NUSRAT FATHY ALI KHAN.......................:thumb:

Reaction score
did any one try classical music.................o0o0o0o0o0o...........i love it.......heart touching songe of NUSRAT FATHY ALI KHAN.......................:thumb:

Yep I like classical, brass band , wind band, swing, big band, folk, country, jazz, electronica, acoustic,pop, infact all music that is melodic and interesting:thumb:. My hates are Hard rock and the other non melodic so called music:wall:But that is just my taste others have a different opinion that is their taste, great we are not all the same:bow:

Last edited:

Ask a Question