What would you have done ?????????????

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So I'm flying along the by-pass at around 70mph' ish an I see a big brown lump in the nearside lane on the othere side of the road , cars pulling out and passing it by . Get closer and see that its a deer . Now I can see that the road is very busy but no one seems to bee slowing down . I know that there is a turn to the right in half a mile . Is it worth my while taking the turn and going back for the deer or will some chancer have picked it up by the time I get there ? I take the turn, and, yes the poor dead Bambi is still there , I pull up hazards on and jump out just as a van screetches to a halt . I grin . Too late mate . A guy jumps out of the van and gives me a hand to lift DB on to the verge where I bleed and drain it . I offer him a hind leg for helping me , which offer is gleefuly accepted . As he is walking back to his van after lifting DB into my boot a police cruiser draws up lights flashing . Hes happy that no one is hurt or was involved in the death and is glad that the body is moved . We all go our seperate ways . Thank goodness me freezer is half empty .

Now what would you have done ?

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Absolutely spot on mate :thumb:

Hazard removed; helper is happy; you have roast lunch for at least a month; copper actually acted sensible; nobody's fault; one of those things; twist of fate; never look a gift horse/free food in the mouth :D

Perfect :)

So, bodhi, what would you have done?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, must remember to get a portable barbeque ...

;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Awwww! I'd have cried buckets for the poor dead Bambi all the way home, waahhh :(

Reaction score
As long as you werent the guy that hit it as then it would be illegal for you to have taken it!!

I wouldnt eat deer but sounds like you did everyone a favour by taking it, enjoy!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, come on, what's up with most of you?

Wouldn't have eaten deer? Why not, you'll eat Babe (Pig) or cow.

What's the difference?

One looks cuter than the other?

How pathetic.

If you could see some abbatoirs and how some processed food is created, you'd never touch meat again.

Get real, Meat is meat - it all comes down to dead animals. cuteness isn't a factor.

Me? I'd eat anything to stay alive, including you, probably :)

And from 1996 to 2002 I went veggie, it was interesting and I didn''t feel any different at all except perhaps less bloated.

Pass me that dead marmoset will you, I'd like to roast it :)

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Hmmm, must remember to get a portable barbeque ...

;)

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Good one.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I know I would've cried, I'm a softie like that & always rescuing injured animals.
But, if it's already dead it seems the smart thing to do,
to leave it when the animal is already dead & someone can use the meat is only waste & achieves nothing.
I don't like venison myself so I'd've just let the other chap have it though.
If we were talking survival, then yes, of course I'd take it.
But, when I've got a fridge full of food at home...
I'm afraid I'm just too much of a wuss

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well me freezer is now full . An I reckon its gona take more than a month or two to empty it . Tastes wonderful . If your ever passing by folks the barbie is ready and waiting , even got quorn sausages for the vegies . Now all I need is a salmon from the river at the bottom of the garden and I'll be realy happy . :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Oh, come on, what's up with most of you?

Wouldn't have eaten deer? Why not, you'll eat Babe (Pig) or cow.

What's the difference?

One looks cuter than the other?

How pathetic.

If you could see some abbatoirs and how some processed food is created, you'd never touch meat again.

Get real, Meat is meat - it all comes down to dead animals. cuteness isn't a factor.

Me? I'd eat anything to stay alive, including you, probably :)

And from 1996 to 2002 I went veggie, it was interesting and I didn''t feel any different at all except perhaps less bloated.

Pass me that dead marmoset will you, I'd like to roast it :)

Well, we did (on TV) and now we don't ;) We've avoided meat since 2000. We're not into trying to "convert" others though, because it is purely a personal choice. Yeah, I probably would have cried - just 'cos I'm a big softie where animals are concerned - but at least Bambi didn't die in vain, he is going to feed AB and family, which is better than just becoming more squashed on the road.... or possibly causing an accident. A more noble end in some ways.
nod.gif
:thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
AB you got my agreement on the Deer, Hope you enjoy it..

As for being a softie where animals are concerned, thats me alright and I'm not sure I could do what Ab did and cut and bleed it there and then by the side of the road, but I think he done the sensible thing and praise goes to you for that..

Tell you what I have nearly had many deer under the wheels of my car but I always manage to swerve and miss them..Luckily..;)

I can remember back when I was a lad and used to go Rabbiting with ferrets, we used to catch a dozen at a time and they were gutted and skinned on the spot because of their weight...The railway used to give us permission as they were pests and we were doing a service to them...Aswell as feeding ourselves in the process...Ah the smell of Rabbit stew...

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i'd have done the same tbh, alot of my friends think i'm cruel coz i hunt rabbits and pidgeons etc but to me its food and pest control, its a win win situation

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i'd have done the same tbh, alot of my friends think i'm cruel coz i hunt rabbits and pidgeons etc but to me its food and pest control, its a win win situation

Have to say I agree with that. over here the rabbits are such an extreeme pest that the govt drops tons of 1080 poison on them every year. 1080 is not a particularly humane poison & I would definitely be in favour of allowing hunting of rabbits again. i think it's much more humane & was also more effective since, the main thing the govt's achieved with their poisoning was to breed a variety of rabbits that doesn't like carrots & then, when they changed the medium, a variety that didn't like oats.
Back when I lived in central otago (one of the most populous areas) it was illegal to shoot rabbits on the grounds that such distubance would frighten the rabbits so much that they wouldn't eat the grain. That was a few years ago mind, the rules might've changed since then. Back then it was also illegal to keep a rabbit as a pet & that's been lifted now, although you're still not allowed to keep tamed wild rabbits as pets.

You enjoy your feed AB, & don't forget an invite to that Barbie :D:thumb:

sol

Reaction score
if we aint supposed to eat animals-why they made of meat..i would have cried because ime an animal lover--then the oven would go on because of logic saying well foods food,mind you ive tried it before & prefer bambi lol

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Barbie invites already on its way . Now get in line , we have Peter Rabbit Roast , Bambi burgers , Pudleduck pie an Babe bangers . Wild strawberries for afters , if you have 20/20 vision you'll be ok otherwise you'll need a magnifying glass to find em .
happywave.gif
:D

Reaction score
I'm a poncy vegetarian. Not by choice really, my family did so when I was about 4, so I grew up with it.

Now I can't bring myself round to eating it again!

Its much more difficult than you'd think.

To be honest, they are animals. The food chain is such that we have to eat other animals to survive. We are all animals, and like all other carnivorous animals we eat other animals to survive.

I'm going to ween myself onto meat next year. Start with some fish, progress to the burgers, delve into some sausages and have a huge steak :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I was in the Harvester last night, had a nice bloody as hell steak! :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
I'm a poncy vegetarian. Not by choice really, my family did so when I was about 4, so I grew up with it.

Now I can't bring myself round to eating it again!

Its much more difficult than you'd think.

To be honest, they are animals. The food chain is such that we have to eat other animals to survive. We are all animals, and like all other carnivorous animals we eat other animals to survive.

I'm going to ween myself onto meat next year. Start with some fish, progress to the burgers, delve into some sausages and have a huge steak :D

You want to be careful with that. My daughter's been vegetarian for only about 6 months & when I accidentaly gave her something with meat in it (neither of us knew until I double checked the lable on the freezer container it was in) she threw up.

Myself I am quite happily carnivourous, but there is no particular merit in this &, I have to say, that my daughter, on her vegetarian diet, is definitely healthier than me.

Another thing to watch out for, because animal protien is so much more dense than the vegetable variety, if you eat the amounts that you're used to eating then you will likely put on weight.

But, like I said, there is no particular merit in eating meat & many of the vegetarian products out there literally taste no different. It you really want to change then go for it, but if you are really quite happy personally with what you're eating, then I wouldn't change it. The food chain that required us to eat other animals is generations out of date.

Ask a Question