What TC did next.....

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
What TC did next...

I admit it... my recent encounter with the mysteries of the PSU went to my head. I was just itching to try another little project. So today, filled with newly-discovered PC confidence, I decided to try my hand at upgrading the graphics card.

The old one was a GEForce 7900 GS 256 MB. But I have now replaced it with an NVIDIA PhysX 9800 GT 1 GB..........I tackled it on my ownsome, and it worked!! Yay and double yay!! :D

Hmm... now I wonder what my next project will be......? :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bloody hell! :eek:

No stopping the girl now, she'll be launching the next Mars Probe from the garden shed next:lol:

Well done :thumb:

So, what games you playing and you notice any improvement?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I mainly play Guild Wars, and yes, I did notice a considerable difference when I popped in for a trial run-around earlier :D The graphics are very "alive" if that makes any sense? The game seems to run more smoothly too and in fact, I am finding web-pages seem to look much more vibrant..... unless I am getting carried away, lol, but I am currently feeling very pleased with this morning's purchase :D

I haven't yet tried Elder Scrolls, (lack of time) which I felt used to struggle a bit on the old card - it wasn't "bad" if you understand, just not quite as good as I felt it should be.

To be honest, I am still getting over the fact that it all works! But when it did.... it was such a nice feeling :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TC, yes, I know that feeling ;)

Ramp Elder Scrolls up to max, the card can handle it and it will look gorgeous.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I shall do that Flopps, thank you :thumb:

You know... it is even much brighter here in PCR - there is one heck of a difference altogether :nod: It's amazing. I always thought this Benq monitor was a tad "subdued" compared to the other monitor on the XP rig. But now, it looks just as vibrant as that one.

Reaction score
Well done there girl....i was hoping to hear a sonic boom as you mentioned lol....only joking. You do now however, have me investigating sonic booms lol.

There's quite a bit on sonic booms to be found TC.....lets know what your next little project is gonna be.
Again, well done.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice work TC! It's good fun doing stuff like that isn't it :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just as a matter of interest, generally that is, I didn't have to use the software disk which came with the new card. After booting, Windows loaded in a very low resolution - everything looked oversized - but then Vista just recognised the new hardware, busied itself for a few moments, requested a re-start and immediately after doing that, the display size returned to normal, but looked much better. :D Couldn't believe how easy that was :nod:

To Zed: Thanks Cap'n :) Some good pics in those links... I expected to resemble some of those in the first one if anything went wrong!! :p Lol

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Nice work TC! It's good fun doing stuff like that isn't it :D

You are so right Ian :D I thoroughly enjoyed myself - will admit to a few little "moments" thinking "yikes, hope this is right..." but I wouldn't hesitate to have a go at other things now (after checking things out here first, of course;) )

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Vista will have native drivers but it's best to use the latest official drivers from www.nvidia.com also available from www.guru3d.com

Oh thank you Flopps :thumb:... I did wonder whether I should check on that (which was going to be one of my next questions, lol.) I will do that a little later today.

I am still a bit carried away discovering the differences - we were viewing some pics earlier, and they almost looked 3D - really amazing.
:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
So, we have a new "builder" in our mists ... ;)

Welcome to our world. :D

:wave:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sounds good TC well done. :)

What probs happened is that the older drivers you had had the brightness, contrast etc turned down a little, now you have installed new ones its reset them to the default values. :)

As said above, grab the latests drivers from the NV site...

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

If your feeling brave you can do it like this..

This is how i update my drivers and i do it quite regularly, as i like to find the best ones. Strangely i've found the 186.18 (I think that is what they are, ill check later) are the best ones for me as they work best with my HD TV as second monitor, the 190.xx's keep resetting. Theres an epic thread on Guru3D about the 190's atm. :)

(Make sure you have Driver Sweeper installed before you start)

1. Uninstall the drivers as normal.
2. Reboot in to safe mode. (F8)
3. Run Driver Sweeper and remove all traces of Nvidia's leftovers. Only pick the Nvidia Drivers and PhysX not the chipset!
4. Reboot as normal and run Ccleaner.
5. Reboot as normal and install the new dirvers.
6. Reboot when asked to and your done.

Some may say this is overkill, and hey it maybe. But i've never had any issues with conflicts etc doing it this way and i've always done it like this.

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
What TC did next...

I admit it... my recent encounter with the mysteries of the PSU went to my head. I was just itching to try another little project. So today, filled with newly-discovered PC confidence, I decided to try my hand at upgrading the graphics card.

The old one was a GEForce 7900 GS 256 MB. But I have now replaced it with an NVIDIA PhysX 9800 GT 1 GB..........I tackled it on my ownsome, and it worked!! Yay and double yay!! :D

Hmm... now I wonder what my next project will be......? :rolleyes:

Nice one TC! I had no doubts you could do it......:nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for all the great advice guys :thumb: it is always most welcome :D

When I eventually get over my excitement, I just know I'm going to feel really embarrassed, lol, because you all do this kind of thing without batting an eyelid. :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
VERY impressed TC. Nice to see you're sticking up for the non-techies. :D

Perhaps now you can explain the relationship between quantum electrodynamics and the Special Theory of Relativity with regards to gravity. :p

Reaction score
Theory of Relativity with regards to gravity. :p

Oh thats easy! If you fall off a 20 storey building you will hit the ground and [SPLAT]:D

Ask a Question