when is HOT, too darn hot

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... when it hits 100c

So, I have, along with a few other forum members, recently upgraded me video card to a nice new Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 Direct CU II Graphics Card OCed, BG, GT, IT and whatever go-faster-monograms they care to come up with on the end.

The main reason for my upgrade was, my old 9800GT overheating, I knew when it was too hot in the one game I play, LoTRO, (unshelfish plug) as the artifacts and wavy lines told me to, cool it down a bit. :rolleyes:

It arrived, on time, next day, that's yesterday, or was it Wednesday?, in the bigest box I've ever seen a GC shipped in ... I thought, this in't gonna fit inside me PC ... it was 3' x 2' x 4" no kidding, and, not very well packed. Good job the GC box itself was, and that was big. :lol: nice box Amazon, sure you not got a bigger one? :lol:

Anyway, fitted, no bother, PSU has the correct power connectors (2 x 6 pin) & juice to run the card. Actually forgot I got this cheap 650 PSU in here, think I bought it 'cos the 9800 needed a six-bit molecular nuclear power connector.

Minimum Recommended System Power 500 (W)

Booted up first time, Windows, or nVidia, promptly started "installin" the same drivers I already had, and so had to reboot. :rolleyes:

Was pleasantly surprised to actually "see" a little difference in quality of picture ... I have a few thousand pics on the PC that cycle through every 10mins, never see the same one twice in a day. :D

What I was pleased to see was the temp readout on me 'GPU Observer gadget' was @ 25°C ... I say, that'll do nicely, thank you very much. Couldn't wait to try out in game.

Oh, ouch! 47°C ... what the F lippin eck? that's no better than me 9800 ... actually got to 59°C at one stage, although I didn't get any artifacts or wavy lines I was a bit shocked ... as soon as I went to desktop, alt tabed, the temps dropped PDQ, phew!

That was yesterday, didn't play game for to long, had other things to do ... so, today I did a bit of testing and a bit of Mr Google research on the std temps of a 560GTX ... I have a twin-fan model of the 560GTX, is one reason I chose this one, quieter & cooler, it certainly is quiet.

I was, however, quite concerned to see such a big jump from idle to load ... 20°C is a lot of heat in such a short time ... I have, however, found out that the max working temp for the design specifications are 99°C ... and, according to what I've read, I shouldn't be surprised to see my temps hit 70°C and, still be one of the coolest card on the market this year, according to AnandTech. :cheers:

One thing more I learned from this morning readings, is, nVidia did it again, revamping an older graphic card is becoming a norm ... the 560 is in effect a 460, rebadged. :rolleyes:

Oh, and in-game ... WOW!! ... no, not 'world of wannabees' idiot adults, but a good improvement over the old 9800GT ... before LoTRO loaded, it told me that I had a DX11 graphics card and would I like to use DX11 :lol: err, yeah, sure :thumb: the frame rate is especially good, not to mention the water, shadows, flowers, armour, horses, scenery, building, mountains, oh heck, ok, it's all a lot more realistic. :lol:

So, how hot is your card?

:user:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
New cards get hotter than old ones dont they. Dont panic you can start to worry if it hits 70 and up. ;)

My 580 hits around 80 running OC'ed by me at 850 on the core, It idles at about 40-45 depending on room temp. Which is perfectly fine by the way.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My 560 is about 42C idle, but I've not had a chance to stress it in a game yet - need to wait for the weekend to give it a full test as I didn't have time to play a game last night. Can't wait to try MW3 on it :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
So...come on then give us some screenies of LOTRO in DX11...PRETTY PLEASE!!
hehehe, ok, will see what I can do ... DX11 is only partly implemented, the change I see in the water is a good example, especially when moving through it.

Been playing for about 10mins and I'm about to rip the card out ... I'm quite deaf these days, but the fan/s on this thing are far worse than the 9800 screamer, and, me bloody desk is vibrating. :confused: :confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Set up a custom fan profile with MSI Afterburner?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
My 580 idles at around 29c-32c but in game it soon shoots upto 65c+ though the fan is still barely audible! It doesnt take much for such an increase!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Set up a custom fan profile with MSI Afterburner?
err, not being funny, but to do what ... increase the fans to make more noise, or turn them off?

I do have Asus' version of Afterburner, if I can figure out how to start it, or even where it is located. :rolleyes:

My 580 idles at around 29c-32c but in game it soon shoots upto 65c+ though the fan is still barely audible! It doesnt take much for such an increase!
I made a mistake, I bought an Asus card, it was the two fans that attracted me, but I have double the noise. :mad:

[edit] found the program, it's ASUS SmartDoctor, got it running on 'smart cooling' and while the fans seem to be running at a higher RPM, they be tolerable. Wonder if it is underclocking as well. :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nah not Asus Smart Doctor, MSI Afterburner. :)

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

You could try setting up a custom fan profile with it so it kicks in faster and keeping it cooler, may help....

Like this...

Nn9DL.png

muckshifter

Reaction score
Nah not Asus Smart Doctor, MSI Afterburner. :)

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

You could try setting up a custom fan profile with it so it kicks in faster and keeping it cooler, may help....
... is exactly what the ASUS SmartDoctor does, so I is using it, especially as it is tailor made for their cards. :)

At least it's not vibrating the whole desk. :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Your choice, but i've tried Smart Doctor, and tis pants compared to MSI AB. ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
We souldn't need to mess around with software to make the card work as intended. :rolleyes:

all I had to do was press one button, and it be doing a good job ... I ain't happy with this card tho ... this is the only game I play, well, 'ntill GW2 or Wildstar hit the streets, I may even still be around when they do. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thats odd as i thought the Direct CU II were supposed to be very quiet, even at load....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My Asus ENGTX 460 TOP Direct CU runs pretty cool and quiet. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Top pic surfing, bottom pic ten minutes of Call of Juarez , room temp 22 C . :dance:

Attachments

• 2011-09-24_105708.jpg
    2011-09-24_105708.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 2011-09-24_110804.jpg
    2011-09-24_110804.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 344

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
With temps/cooling like that why arnt you pushing that little 460 a bit harder!? 800+ on the core easy tbh. ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
With temps/cooling like that why arnt you pushing that little 460 a bit harder!? 800+ on the core easy tbh. ;)

Never needed to for the games I have been playing. Also been a bit busy.

Now winter is coming I'm going to set up me SLI and tweak a bit to get the best set up for some newer games.

I'm also going to try and build a case that I wanted to a year ago but never got around to. :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thought you was playing Metro 2033? That needs as much grunt as you can throw at it! lol

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
My 470GTX hits about 61C when benching. :D

Of course im also using a aftermarket cooler.

Ask a Question