What processor for my motherboard

Reaction score
Hi

I have ASUS A7V8X motherboard (not the A7V8x-x version)

and i have a AMD 1.4GHZ xp processor in it at the moment. I want to get a new processor for my system, but im not sure what processor to get. I want a processor which will run the new games which are going to come out. I want the fast processor for my motherboard really, i was looking at

AMD ATHLON XP2400+ 266MHz FSB - Thoroughbred - OEM
but im not sure if my motherboard will take it

(im not into over clocking stuff)

Also will i need a fan for my processor if so is it worth buying retail and getting a fan with it a 3 year warranty

if anyone can help me

Thanks in advances

RyDan

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yep should do

If it doesn't now ... it will with a BIOS update, check your motherboard version number and download the latest BIOS.

The version number will be etched on the motherboard ... better still download AIDA32 it will give you that information ... and more. ;)

If your buying a "retail" CPU then it will come with an approved AMD HSF and that will be fine ... if you want a little more cooling then look for a HSF, rated to at least 3.2 MHz, but don't throw away the HSF that comes with the CPU as AMD have a new returns policy and will NOT replace a faulty CPU without the original HSF.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Yep should do

Originally posted by muckshifter
don't throw away the HSF that comes with the CPU as AMD have a new returns policy and will NOT replace a faulty CPU without the original HSF.

I wish they would make this fast a little more clear, as I would probably fall prey to this clause! (serves me right for not reading things)

/must commit this to memory :)

Reaction score
I would have thought the A7V8X should handle a faster CPU than that with no trouble, but Muckshifter's advice on checking bios updates is good...i know a few peeps who have paid out for a new mobo to run a faster CPU, not realising that they could have simply updated the bios for free.

On the hsf thing...do they check to see that the hsf has been used, and if it hasn't do they refuse to replace the chip, 'cos they can argue that you have not used their 'proper' cooler?

or, is it just that they only supply CPU's with hsf's now?

Reaction score
Hi thanks for the advise

Ive been looking at OEM processors today on ebuyer, and im might be interested in the AMD ATHLON XP2600+ 333MHz FSB - Thoroughbred - OEM instead of the AMD ATHLON XP2400+ 266MHz FSB - Thoroughbred - OEM.

Ive looked on the asus website and it says that the xp2600 will work but i need to upgrade my bios, and also my motherboard has to have a FSB333 sticker on south bridge. How do i no if my motherboard has this?

And also how do i upgrade my bios?

Also im worryed about power supplys, will i need a higher watts is it 450W?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ok ... I've found my A7V8X MB manual and you should be able to use the XP2600 / 333 with no problem (page1.2 section 1.3 clearly states so) However, it won't hurt to have the latest BIOS update ... and my advice would to update the BIOS before changing anything. :D

The 'southbridge' is item 8 on page 1-7 section 1.3 ... I don't think you'll find any sticker, I can assure you however, that the A7V8X will run 333.

Your 450W PSU will be fine.

On the hsf thing...do they check to see that the hsf has been used
I'ts only relivent if you buy from AMD direct ... both of my main suppliers WILL change any faulty CPU without a HSF, be they retail or OEM. :cool: Best bet to ask your supplier what the returns policy is. ;)

RyDan, as your buying an OEM CPU make sure you also get a good HSF, don't buy a 'stock' HSF, spend some money. ;)

Ask a Question