What mean?

George Hester

"If a client requested a list of servers from a multihomed browser server,
the browser service would provide only the list of servers gathered on the
network adapter that received the browse request."

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191611

the browser service where? on the multihomed browser server? I can
understand a multihomed server all that means is a server with more than one
Nic. But what exactly is a miltihomed browser server? And what is this
"list of servers?" A list of all the machines on the Network? And then the
rest of it just has me cross-eyed.

Could someone put this in plainer English?

Phillip Windell

George Hester said:
"If a client requested a list of servers from a multihomed browser server,
the browser service would provide only the list of servers gathered on the
network adapter that received the browse request."

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191611
Nic. But what exactly is a miltihomed browser server?

A machine that has "won" the browser election ans had become a Segment
Master Browser or a Domain Master Browser. You should avoid letting these
be multi-homed and almost any cost, although SBS is an exception.
And what is this "list of servers?" A list of all the machines on the
Network?

Yes, it is called a Browse List. It is basically the "database" that
Network Places "populates" itself from. Segment Master Browsers build a
Browse Lists for their respective segment,...then the Lists are merged
together by the Domain Master Browser into the Domain Browse List, and that
is the one that the Network Places will try to use to populate itself
with,...if it cannot,..then it will use the Segment Browse List and the
Network Places will only show machines that are in the same subnet in which
you are viewing it from. Network Places does not "look" at the network and
display what it see as I am sure many people mistakenly believe,...it simply
displays whatever it finds in the Browse List whether the list be right or
wrong.

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Guidance
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2004.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2000.asp

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp

George Hester

Thanks Phillip I should avoid my Domain Server being Multihomed? How then
can I use DHCP? I planned on using the other NIC for which the DHCP Server
will assign a collection of valid in my Router IP addresses to a switch
which the rest of the machines will connect to. That is the only reason why
I have two nics in the Domain Controller because when I get up the nerve I
plan to see how I can make DHCP work on my Network. I'm new to this so
please don't flame me.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

George Hester said:
Thanks Phillip I should avoid my Domain Server being Multihomed?
Correct.

How then can I use DHCP?

A DHCP Server have serve as many subnets as you could ever design into a
system, and it can do it with only one Nic. You simply create a new,
separate, and distinct Scope for each subnet you want to have (no
superscopes!). The Scopes should contain the entire IP Range for the subnet
and then use Exclusions to limited the addresses you wish to give out. That
is it,...there is nothig else to do on the DHCP Server,...run it with one
Nic.

It is the job of the LAN Router that sits between the subnet to forward the
DHCP Queries from the client to the DHCP Server. This is one of the primary
jobs of any LAN router beyond just the normal routing. the router includes
the required information within the packets so that the DHCP knows which
subnet it is dealing with and therefore gives out the corect IP Config tothe
client.

I currently run several subnets here and serve them with a "pair" of
redundant DHCP Servers that sit with one nic each on the original 1st
subnet.
plan to see how I can make DHCP work on my Network. I'm new to this so
please don't flame me.

They won't let me play with matches around here. I may get "impatient"
sometimes,..well, ok,... maybe a lot of time,....but I don't flame ;-)

The name is familiar,..didn't you used to show up in the old Proxy2 group a
lot a long time ago?

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com
Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Guidance
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2004.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2000.asp

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp

George Hester

So Phillip like this. I hook the ISP to my Nic with a router between to
give me its firewall. Then I install my DHCP Server and Configure that in
the way you describe. Then set my clients to obtain their DHCP Server from
my Server (what port must I open for that on the Router?). Then the clients
also hook to the Router. Is that it?

We met in the Security newsgroup. I remember you you didn't lambaste me
when I suggested East Asian http sites were the prime culprits of Spam on
the Net. I asked you not to flame me because in many Newsgroups when
someone asks a question that makes clear they are new to the technology that
is what often happens. I'm trying to be honest about my lack of knowledge
of DHCP and Networking without the sparks.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

George Hester said:
So Phillip like this. I hook the ISP to my Nic with a router between to
give me its firewall. Then I install my DHCP Server and Configure that in
the way you describe. Then set my clients to obtain their DHCP Server from
my Server (what port must I open for that on the Router?). Then the clients
also hook to the Router. Is that it?

If I understood correctly from the earlier post, you don't have additional
subnets yet, but are only thinking of adding them later. Well if that is the
case there really is no preparation to do ahead of time. Just get it working
according to what you have now.

I assume your "router" that you mentioned is a DSL NAT Device that shares
the Internet connection for the LAN. This Device is the only thing with
two interfaces, all other machines would just need one. There are situations
involving a Back-to-Back DMZs, but unless you are specifically wanting that,
let's not go there, let's keep it simple for now. It would simply look like
this:

All LAN machines-->Hub or Switch-->DSL Device-->Internet

The "All LAN Machines" incudes everything,...Clients, Servers, additional
Hubs/Switches, etc.
You must remember to disable DHCP on the DSL Device and don't allow it to
run DHCP. Then configure DHCP on the Server you wish to use. Clients are
not "pointed" to any certain DHCP Server,...the Server is "passive" and the
Clients find it by broadcasting their DHCP Queries,...the Server simply sees
the queries and responds to them.

When you add a new Subnet you just add a new Scope in the DHCP config for
the new subnet,...add a Static Route to the DSL Device,...add a LAN Router
between the Segments and configure it to forward the DHCP Queries to the
DHCP Server from the clients on the opposite side of the LAN Router. Their
really isn't that much to it. It might resemble this:

Net#2-->LAN Router-->Net#1-->DSL Device-->Internet

Net#1 and Net#2 would have their own spearate Hub or Switch, I just didn't
include them to keep the diagram simple. The DSL Device would no longer be
the Default Gateway of everything, instead the LAN Router becomes the
Default Gateway for *all* machines & equipment (except the DSL Device). The
DSL Device becomes the Default Gateway for only the LAN Router. Then the
Default Gateway of the DSL Device remains the ISP as it already was.
We met in the Security newsgroup. I remember you you didn't lambaste me
when I suggested East Asian http sites were the prime culprits of Spam on
the Net.

Ah! Now I remember. Yea, I agreed with you, and still do concerning that
spam. I think I took a beating for that one myself.

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com
Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Guidance
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2004.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2000.asp

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp

My dear friend in your "MULTIHOMED"server i.e. machine (server) with two or
more network-adapters then each NIC will have its own network address, right?
Then each NIC will be working on different network. therefore my friend you
will obviously see all those machines/server on that particular NIC since
they are in that particular network.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In
George Hester said:
So Phillip like this. I hook the ISP to my Nic with a router between
to give me its firewall. Then I install my DHCP Server and Configure
that in the way you describe. Then set my clients to obtain their
DHCP Server from my Server (what port must I open for that on the
Router?). Then the clients also hook to the Router. Is that it?

Do you actually have a router between your server and your clients for some
reason?

I suggest:

Don't multihome your server, esp. as it's a DC.
Get a router/firewall appliance to sit in betwen your LAN and your Internet
router
Your clients, server, and firewall all plug into the same Ethernet switch
Set up your server with its sole NIC configured for your private IP
addressing scheme, and its default gateway to the LAN IP of your firewall
Set up your DHCP scope on your server so it dishes out IPs to your clients
on the private subnet and uses the LAN IP of the firewall as the default
gateway, and the DNS server IP being the local server's privsate IP address.
No public DNS servers.

I suspect you have a small network, and hence, the above setup should be
just fine.
George Hester said:
[...]

Hi Lanwench. I am going to do that just now with a little insight from
Philip. Yes it is very small only 6 machines.

--
George Hester