Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 06:09:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Microsoft" <[email protected]> |
This is spam | Add to Address Book
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Security Update for Microsoft Windows

*** PLEASE NOTE: Due to the critical importance of this
message,
this communication is being sent to all of our Microsoft
customers
to alert you of this Security Bulletin. ***

It has been widely reported in the press and on
Microsoft's own web
site, that on July 16th we released a critical security
bulletin
(MS03-026) and a patch regarding a vulnerability in the
Windows
operating system. We wanted to make sure that if you were
not aware
of this bulletin and corresponding patch that you take a
moment to
go to http://www.microsoft.com/security/
security_bulletins/
ms03-026.asp to find out if you are running an affected
version of
the Windows operating system and get the specific
information as to
what you need to do to apply this patch if you have not
already.

Although we encourage you to pay attention to all security
bulletins
and to deploy patches in a timely manner we wanted to call
special
attention to this particular instance as we have become
aware of
some activity on the internet that we believe increases
the
likelihood of the exploitation of this vulnerability.
Specifically,
code has been published on several web sites that would
allow
someone to spread a worm/virus that takes advantage of the
vulnerability in question thereby impacting your
computing environment.

Although it is our goal to produce the most secure and
dependable
products possible, we do become aware of these types of
vulnerabilities. In order to minimize the risks of such
vulnerabilities to your computing environment, we
encourage you to
subscribe to the Windows Update service by going to
http://www.windowsupdate.com and also subscribe to
Microsoft's
security notification service at
http://register.microsoft.com/
subscription/subscribeme.asp?ID=135 if you have not
already. By
subscribing to these two services you will automatically
receive
information on the latest software updates and the latest
security
notifications thereby improving the likelihood that your
computing
environment will be safe from worms and viruses that
occur.

We apologize for any inconvenience the implementation of
this patch
might cause and appreciate you taking the time to update
your system.

Thank you,
Microsoft Corporation

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

Roger said:
I have tried to get an answer from Microsoft on this
matter!...when I downloaded the patch or whatever it
is...it tells me to backup my system files before
installing...I don't know how to do this!please explain
the procedure step by step!

Roger,

The answer to your question can be found in the Help and Support included
with Windows XP.
Start ... Help and Support
enter Backup in to the Search box and press arrow (white on green
button)

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]