What is going on?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
[subtitle … a mucks rant]

itsme's sales thread set me on a walkabout looking at prices, and I was quite amused at what is out there price wise.

Now bare with me a moment and I'll just use AMD as an example, I do know them better than Intel, and Intel have some very interesting concoctions too.

OK,
You can still buy “Athons”, though they are proving a little sparse and you can buy the replacements in a Sempron, which is a re-badge Athlon, in this class. The Semprons are a little easier to find. There is not much difference in the price and these CPUs are commonly called socket A (462) CPUs FSB333

Next we see Sempron 64 bit, socket 754 CPU FSB 800 format ... but, here is a classic we see across the board ... the Sempron 2800+ FSB333 Socket A & the Sempron 2800+ FSB800 Socket 754 can be bought for the same price @ around £55inc VAT.

Now, slip in a MB here, it doesn't matter who but I'll pick two ...
(err, I wouldn't actually like one of these)

ASROCK K7S41GX
SiS 741GX + 963L Chipset
Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron
(Up to 333 FSB)
On Board Real 256 E 3D VGA
int. 10/100 LAN
2x DDR (Up to DDR333)
1 x AGP (4X / 8X)
int. 5.1 Channel Sound
2 x PCI
6 x USB 2.0
2 x IDE 133
1x AMR
£32

and

MSI K8MM3-V
VIA® K8M800 Chipset
Micro ATX
Skt 754 (Athlon 64) 800 FSB
3x PCI
1x 10/100 LAN
1x AGP (4X / 8X) and OnBoard Vga
2x IDE UDMA 133
2 x S.ATA
Up to 8x USB 2.0
2 x DDR up to 400
int. 6 channel Sound
£37

Now, the reason I picked these two was because they have, in essence, the same specifications ... but I think you may all agree that the 64 bit should offer better err, productivity? I only need an extra £5 :)

Yep, I'm playing the numbers game.

Now all I need is the memory … but here is where I win back some money as I can buy ‘no name’ 512 DDR 400 (3200) for £29 but, from the same shop, no name 512 DDR 333 (2700) is £31 … ok it is only £2 but I’m not looking all over the internet and trying to find the cheapest, I’m buying everything from one store.

The point? … well you can apply the same process to a high end 754 and low end 939

An AMD 3000+ 939 can be bought for the same price as the 3000+ 754 @ £82inc VAT

Good game or what?

Now I’ll throw a spanner in the works … Windows Vista

No, don’t laugh, it will only be about 5years and MS will drop support for XP … well, they would love to be able to do that, but I think we, the public, may have something to say over that. No?

Why did I throw Vista in here … well you really are going to need a 64bit system just to get Vista happy enough … yes we can run it on the first spec system, providing you give it 1.5gig ram and if you “need” Aero Glass a 512Mb AGP video card … However, turn off all the bells & whistles and you have … XP with a pretty face.

You are aware, I’m sure, that I have been playing with Vista, sorry, but I’m not sure what MS are up to but this should be called “Vista ME” and if no one has coined that phrase yet I better get it copywrite out on it or at least register it as a logo … you heard it here first … Vista ME !!

user.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
itsme said:
And?;) what was the final cost? were you surprised?:nod:
Naw ... I wondered off on a different track ... I think I'll go fly my kite.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Hmmmm, so the bottom line is that MS will shaft the customer????

muckshifter

Reaction score
psd99 said:
which kite u got?

I got a solero!
I have a Tsuke Rokkaku Kite ... wanna fight, you may win, I haven't flown kites in nearly 40 years. ;)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Worth it ??

By Mucks
You are aware, I’m sure, that I have been playing with Vista, sorry, but I’m not sure what MS are up to but this should be called “Vista ME” and if no one has coined that phrase yet I better get it copywrite out on it or at least register it as a logo … you heard it here first … Vista ME !!

Hows about registering the domain Name !!!

Reaction score
Apparently so, however, I can certainly assure you that Microsoft have already registered both names in mutiple countries.

Worth a try tho

Imagine the hits you would get from a search engine WOW!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Own goal or good tip ?

Well i have just registered vistame.co.uk , so any profit will be halved with mucks :wave:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Rush said:
Well i have just registered vistame.co.uk , so any profit will be halved with mucks :wave:
laughingsmiley.gif

I better get working on the new "updates" I think we'll ship ours out on a Wednesday so as not to confuse everybody, that will also allow the servers time to recover.

user.gif

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Next the world

Already taken...but Mucks and Rush ltd are only just starting out so we will conquer .com later :wave:

Ask a Question