Replacement mobo and cpu

Reaction score
I am starting a new post after concluding that one or both of my old AMD Athlon 64 and Jetway mobo K8M8MSR2, socket 754 have gone toes up. I only need a similar spec, but not less, although if it is cost effective I might upgrade to dual core.

I can replace the mobo, then if necessary the cpu with equivalent socket 754 if I can find them at a reasonable price, or go for a low spec dual core.

Both the optical drive and hdd in this system are EIDE so I will need at least one EIDE port.

I have some ideas from a prior thread, but would be grateful for any additioanl thoughts, leads, recommendations.

Reaction score
itsme, thanks for that URL. I'm a fairly inexperienced computer user, so the specs for that mobo look fairly similar to the old mobo to me. Please educate me on the features that would constitute an upgrade over the jetway.

BTW, I have found the following mobos on ebay usa:

AMD NVIDIA PCI EXPRESS SKT 754 FSB 800 ATX

ASUS K8U-X

ASUS K8V-MX

with the AMD at apx $25 and both ASUS less than $20. Do you or anyone have any experience and recommendations on any of these 3 boards?

Reaction score
While considering replacement/upgrade, is it sensible to stay with a socket 754 if it is not significantly more to move to a later/better socket? If the latter, which and why. TIA

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you can get either of those Asus mobos for $20 then thats a bargin in my book.

Upgrading to dual cor will make all your programs run faster in the main. Also you will be able to eg. burn or encode a dvd and still surf the net with no lag. I did notice a difference when I went from a 754 to AM 2.

You do realise that if you upgrade to dual then you will have to buy DDR2 memory and maybe a better psu.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Odysseus said:
itsme, thanks for that URL. I'm a fairly inexperienced computer user, so the specs for that mobo look fairly similar to the old mobo to me. Please educate me on the features that would constitute an upgrade over the jetway.

BTW, I have found the following mobos on ebay usa:

AMD NVIDIA PCI EXPRESS SKT 754 FSB 800 ATX

ASUS K8U-X

ASUS K8V-MX

with the AMD at apx $25 and both ASUS less than $20. Do you or anyone have any experience and recommendations on any of these 3 boards?

What you must remember is modern technology over takes itself daily.

If you have to spend as in your case there appears to be a must then it is feasible?

Then go for an up-grade the cost of going backwards is more significant than it appears.

As with [AM2] dual comes in at a very good price in comparison with older less efficient components think about it? Spend lets say [in your case] $150 on an upgrade which would be of great benefit, or $90 now on a CPU/MOBO and next year another $90 on some other component and still have an old system.

ASUS very good but not as good as Gigabyte.

Reaction score
Had not thought about the ram incompatibility, etc. May be best to stay with a mobo and cpu that will allow use of all my present bits. Thanks.

edit: itsme, looks like ours crossed. Yours has tossed me back into indecision, but is persuasive to upgrade. Will see what is available for how much and then decide.

Any additional thoughts/guidance will be gratefully received.

Last edited:

Ask a Question