What Do You Think Of This Case

Reaction score
Dear All,

In my first step to building my own rig I have come across this case, the Thermaltake Xaser III Super Tower Series (see here ) . Iwas thinking of going with the W0008,
420W Silent Purepower or getting a Ahanix SilenX 500W (See

here for a review).

Is this an acceptable start?
Have I got any concerns with these items with respect to Noise and Cooling.

Cheers

Soojer

Reaction score
Hi Soojer!
I replied to your earlier thread and made some comments about cases before I saw this...sorry:roll:

Personally, I'm a Lian-Li man.
These Thermaltake's are a bit over the top for my tastes, but they're based on a good solid chassis design (Chieftec/Antec I think) and as long as you're happy with all those gimmicks and the flashy design, then I'm sure one would be fine for most rigs.

All those fans may seem a good idea, but they will stress your PSU and make more noise...best way to cool your case is to get a roomy one, with a couple of intakes at the bottom front, and one or two near the CPU exhausting air out at the back, so that the airflow is across the heatsinks on the mobo, and warm air generated near the cpu is drawn out as well. Any more fans than that can actually increase the temp from the psu. A big fan blowing down onto the mobo could actually create a break in the airflow and stop the whole thing cooling efficiently.

If you invest ina good heatsink and fan, you should need fewer case fans.

I hope that makes sense

:)

Reaction score
Hello 1nteger,

Thanks for your reply to my other thread, I have to say that my knowledge has virtually doubled in the short time sinced I joined this forum; so a huge thanks to all you guys that have been, & hopefully will continue to educate me. You know who you are.

Your point about the bigger case is well made. Why go for bells & whistles when it means that it makes the actual operation more complex. I am therefore going to investigate Lian-li. However, I won't do beige.

Can you recommend a model & how is it on the noise front.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can second 1ntegers opinion on the Lian-Li - I myself use the 6089A series. Noise from the cases is pretty low as they tend to use some good quality internal fans, and most of them have a speed control on the front to adjust this.

Try visiting Lian-Li's website and check out Erics review of one such case. If you take a look for some of the models you think look the best, and then check out the specifications of them - there will probably be one to suit your needs :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
At first glance, the case is aesthetically appealing.
Not in my eyes, but then I'm going blind. :p

Glad to see you doing your 'homework' Soojer, now I have another case for you. ;)

Food for thought

:p

Reaction score
Originally posted by Soojer
... I am therefore going to investigate Lian-li. However, I won't do beige.

Can you recommend a model & how is it on the noise front.

As far as I know, Lian-Li only do aluminium cases, so no beige at all (unless of course I was just blinkered by the glare from my PC70 and didn't see the beige ones!8) .

Build quality across the range is high and they always seem to be tweaking them. Also, the prices vary significantly. I got mine for £130 including delivery while it was over £180 at other places. If Aria still has them, the PC70 full tower will probably be around £110 now. But Ian's more familiar with the mid-tower range than me, and that may be your best choice.

Ask a Question