What causes the message 503 No Recipient?

G

today when I logged on to Outlook I am unable to send a msg. to anyone.
the error msg. "503 No Recipient" is always returned

S

Scott Atkins[MSFT]

Hi,

The error message you are experiencing can occur under the following situations.
- Email account settings have become corrupted
- Outlook is corrupted
- Mail server malfunction

I recommend you try following steps to narrow down the problem.

Step 1: Check you email account settings
======================================
This problem most likely occurs when the email account settings have been modified or the mail server begins to require authentication.

1. Start Outlook.
2. Click Tools -> E-mail Accounts
3. Select View or change existing e-mail accounts and click Next
4. Double click on your account to open it.
5. Check if all settings are correct.
6. Click More Settings button.
7. Switch to Outgoing Server tab
8. Check "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" and "Use same settings as my incoming mail server"

Close windows and perform a test to see if you can send email now. If the problem persists, proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Configure your email account in Outlook Express
==============================================
Test your problem by configuring your email account in Outlook Express. If you can send email from Outlook Express, the problem lies somewhere in Outlook 2003.

Please note that If you cannot send email from Outlook Express either, the problem may likely be on the mail server.

Step 3: Create a new Outlook profile
====================================
Create a new profile to see if the problem also exists in the new profile.

1. Close Outlook.
2. Click Start menu-> Control Panel. If Control Panel is not in Classic View, click Switch to Classic View, and then double-click the Mail icon.
3. Click Show Profiles and then click Add. In the New Profile dialog box, type a descriptive name for the new profile in the Profile Name box, and then click OK.
4. In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click "Add a new e-mail account", and then click Next.
5. Select the appropriate server type for your e-mail account, and then click Next.
6. Fill in the appropriate information as prompted, and then click Next and Finish as needed.
7. Click the "Prompt for a profile to be used" option and click OK. This way, you will be prompted for a profile when starting Outlook.
8. Restart Outlook and select the new profile.

If the problem does not exist in the new profile, you can refer to following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to move your data in the old profile to the new profile. Note: This article also
applies to Outlook 2003.

287070.KB.EN-US OL2002: How to Back Up, Restore, or Move Outlook Data
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;287070>

Regards,

Scott Atkins MCSE, MCSA
Partner Technical Lead - Outlook
Microsoft Technical Support
for Platforms and Business Applications
--------------------

Ask a Question