What are you reading?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's been months since I last read a book properly, but I got a really interesting book on "Underground Manchester" which I'm reading through at the moment. It's all about the network of tunnels, air raid shelters and other things that are right under the city centre of Manchester.

I've still got a pile of books next to my bed that I need to read once I've got some time :D

Are you reading anything interesting at the moment?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Rather than read I tend to listen now Ian..

I got some audiobooks on my Ipod and find I get through more books this way than stopping and picking up the same book and reading it visually..

At the moment I'm reading or should that be listening to Stephen Hawkings A brief history of time..
Briefhistory.gif

and Stephen Hawkings The theory of everything..
theoryofeverything.jpg

Both fantastic and very interesting to read "errr listen too..

Finished reading Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson..Wonderful book which is a true story..
Shadowdivers.jpg

If you like gripping suspense in your books then this is your bag...:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm always reading something, I get through a lot of books.

At the moment reading Ultimate Weapon by Chris Ryan, SAS stuff.

Total tosh, but enjoyable ;)

Best books I've read recently have been the Mortal Engines quadrology by Philip Reeves, good stuff.

I can also recommend 'Salmon Fishing In The Yemen' by Paul Torday, a really good read. Sort of a bitter sweet comedy, the Al Qeda correspondence in it had me creasing up with laughter.

Reaction score
Just finished Eight Lives Down all about a 4 month tour of Iraq by an Army counter-terrorist bomb disposal operator.
Very straight to the point and show's the real dangers these operators are in.:thumb:
Now just started An Island Parish - a tie in with the BBC program of the same name.
nod.gif

All the other books have been either job related or IT & Computer books.

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
At the moment it's:

"Ladies of Letters" "More Ladies of Letters" and "Ladies of Letters.Com" by Carole Hayman and Lou Wakefield, three rather slim volumes but an absolute hoot! There are CD versions too, read by Prunella Scales and Patricia Routledge, who do great justice to the two fictional characters. Really funny. :D

"How to Survive Your Mother" by Jonathan Maitland (he's the investigative journalist from TV progs such as "House of Horrors") he had a distinctly unusual upbringing, by a mother who was far from "ordinary." She occasionally feigned death and once told her son that she was suffering from "cancer of the eyebrows!"

"Keeping Mum" by Brian Thompson, which is about his wartime childhood, growing up in Cambridge and London with a mixture of eccentric relations. I've only just started to dip into this one, but it looks like being a thoroughly good read. :thumb:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
not really much of a reader, currently reading a book about vehicular aerodynamic design for part of my uni course and thats only because the exam questions are based on the book lol

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Live and Let Die - Ian Fleming :D

I'm getting quite in to the James Bond books :)

Reaction score
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

its such a brilliant book, you simply must have a read :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Embrace Tiger Return To Mountain by Al Huang.

Heres an extract,

During my sword practice this morning a cat came running towards me . She pulled back just beyond the tip of my sword and cautiously walked all around me . Then she sat very alert and motionless waiting for my next move. After I had finished I walked oover to the edge of the deck where lots of cats were playing and stretching, waiting, pausing, pouncing, suspended - centered and sensing each other's energy. They were doing the exact thing I had been practicing. This alertness in being completely here and centered, ready to move and react tp the instant . The drop of a pin will affect you - not to make you jump and sweat nervously, but simply alert you .

Its a book about the essence and spirit involved in tai ji dancing . One mans view of his play .

:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Reading? Ummm, no i dont, i do read forums and stuff though! lol

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Last book was 'The Making of the Atomic Bomb' by Richard Rhodes and currently reading 'Dark Sun - The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb' by the same author.
Cheers:)
peahouse05

Ask a Question