Whacky Filehandling...

trackfan

Been researching strange file handling behavior without much resolve.
When right clicking files or programs and using 'Open With' context
option, Windows launches notepad.exe. Depending on type of file ,
explorer crashes or causes lenghty delay.

While researching I found various .reg tips involving
[HKCR\SystemFileAssociations\} folder. Well...that directory doesn't
exist in this registry. I looked at another machine and it's missing
there too.

I could use a sanity check , should I worry running sessions without
any PerceivedType references? Could I just write those keys?

And how to best troubleshoot the 'open with' annoyance?

Cheers,
Frank

trackfan

Patti said:
Hi trackfan,

See if the information at the following sites help you to resolve the
problem:

Clicking the "Open With" or "Choose Program..." option always opens th
file
with Notepad?
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openas.htm

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"trackfan" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Been researching strange file handling behavior without muc
resolve.
When right clicking files or programs and using 'Open With' context
option, Windows launches notepad.exe. Depending on type of file ,
explorer crashes or causes lenghty delay.

While researching I found various .reg tips involving
[HKCR\SystemFileAssociations\} folder. Well...that directory doesn't
exist in this registry. I looked at another machine and it's missing
there too.

I could use a sanity check , should I worry running sessions without
any PerceivedType references? Could I just write those keys?

And how to best troubleshoot the 'open with' annoyance?

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks for the reply Patti. I went through with reg changes suggeste
on Rameshe's site. Downloaded shellex utility and cruised aroun
looking for irregularities. I can't seem to pinpoint the exact cause.

To reclarify, let's say I right click on .dat extension. Inde
provides 'open with' option and in this case would recommend a coupl
of programs and a 'choose program' option. The later would launc
notepad. Also, if index has no submenu, 'open with' will always launc
notepad.exe.

I checked suggested register locations but admit I'm in over my head
ProgIDs don't spell out much. Noticed some odd PersistentHandler. Fo
example, a .dat extension is PerceivedType 'video' ??

One prominent PHandler is {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

Not sure whether this is ProdID for notepad.

Amazing how much time little Window annoyances can eat up. I am read
to punt unless anyone else has something helpful to share.

Cheer

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Have you tried merging the openas.reg file ( from
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openas.htm )?

If that does not help, export the following registry branches to REG file,
and post the contents here

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell

FYI, the .DAT file type can be anything (audio, video, or a data file type),
and this extension is used by many applications. Also, .DAT files are not
associated by default, and no PerceivedType set by default.

David Candy

Also Persistant Handler is what searches the file for text. Nuffin to do with open with.

How to lose a war in Iraq
http://webdiary.com.au/cms/?q=node/1335#comment-48641
trackfan said:
Patti said:
Hi trackfan,

See if the information at the following sites help you to resolve the
problem:

Clicking the "Open With" or "Choose Program..." option always opens the
[...]

Thanks for the reply Patti. I went through with reg changes suggested
on Rameshe's site. Downloaded shellex utility and cruised around
looking for irregularities. I can't seem to pinpoint the exact cause.

To reclarify, let's say I right click on .dat extension. Index
provides 'open with' option and in this case would recommend a couple
of programs and a 'choose program' option. The later would launch
notepad. Also, if index has no submenu, 'open with' will always launch
notepad.exe.

I checked suggested register locations but admit I'm in over my head.
ProgIDs don't spell out much. Noticed some odd PersistentHandler. For
example, a .dat extension is PerceivedType 'video' ??

One prominent PHandler is {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

Not sure whether this is ProdID for notepad.

Amazing how much time little Window annoyances can eat up. I am ready
to punt unless anyone else has something helpful to share.

Cheers

Ramesh, MS-MVP

OT:

Following the successful chasing (successive 17 wins), we lost the series
badly against W.I. Lara's captaincy was excellent this time. I believe
they'll remain a challenge in 2007 WC (hey Aus team, watch-out.)

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Patti MacLeod Wrote:
Hi trackfan,

See if the information at the following sites help you to resolve the
problem:

Clicking the "Open With" or "Choose Program..." option always open
the
file
with Notepad?
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openas.htm

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"trackfan" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Excecuted reg edit as prescribed but it didn't seem to address th
problem. However , merged reg key tonight instead and that took care o
it. Thanks a million.

:

Ramesh, MS-MVP

You're welcome.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
"trackfan" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Excecuted reg edit as prescribed but it didn't seem to address the
problem. However , merged reg key tonight instead and that took care of
it. Thanks a million.

[snip]