Western Digital Raptor strange noise/vibration

John Doe

Using the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics (most recent
download from their website).

Running the QUICK TEST on my new 150 GB Raptor produces zero errors,
but it also produces noise like a manual transmission car getting up
to speed at the beginning of the test. Sounds like it goes through
about three gears, with excessive vibration too. After about 10% of
the test, the unusual sound goes away.

The old 37 GB Raptor does not make unusual noises or vibrations
during the same quick test.

I will run the extended test right away, assuming it produces zero
errors.

The SMART data looks correct to me. Here is the actual comparison
between the two drives.

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.phish
Subject: Raptor SMART information

Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

Rod Speed

John Doe said:
Using the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics (most recent
download from their website).

Running the QUICK TEST on my new 150 GB Raptor produces zero errors,
but it also produces noise like a manual transmission car getting up
to speed at the beginning of the test. Sounds like it goes through
about three gears, with excessive vibration too. After about 10% of
the test, the unusual sound goes away.

The old 37 GB Raptor does not make unusual noises or vibrations
during the same quick test.

I will run the extended test right away, assuming it produces zero
errors.

The SMART data looks correct to me. Here is the actual comparison
between the two drives.

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.phish

Smart move choosing such an obscure binary newsgroup when groups.google doesnt bother with them.

John Doe

The sound of my Raptor hard drive when running the Western Digital
diagnostics quick test.

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.phish
Subject: Raptor sound

2

231

John Doe said:
The sound of my Raptor hard drive when running the Western Digital
diagnostics quick test.

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.phish

Smart move using such an obscure binary group when groups.google doesnt bother with binary groups.

Franc Zabkar

Using the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics (most recent
download from their website).

Running the QUICK TEST on my new 150 GB Raptor produces zero errors,
but it also produces noise like a manual transmission car getting up
to speed at the beginning of the test. Sounds like it goes through
about three gears, with excessive vibration too. After about 10% of
the test, the unusual sound goes away.

Maybe it's doing sequential track 0 to track n seeks, ie track 0 to
track 1 followed by track 0 to track 2, then track 0 to track 3, and
so on. I used to service 250kg hard drives during the 1980s. These
used to walk across the floor during such tests.

- Franc Zabkar

Folkert Rienstra

Franc Zabkar wrote in news:[email protected]
Maybe it's doing sequential track 0 to track n seeks, ie track 0 to
track 1 followed by track 0 to track 2, then track 0 to track 3, and
so on.

Or it just does whatever it is that the QUICK TEST does. The real
question is why the other drive doesn't exhibit the same symptoms.
I used to service 250kg hard drives during the 1980s.
These used to walk across the floor during such tests.

Which they probably were not supposed to do.