WD 250GB SATA External Drive not Recognized by Windows XP

J

John Lettiere

About a year ago I bought a new WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
and put in a Penguin Gear USB/SATA external enclosure to use as a backup drive for both my desktop AMD Athlon 64 and
my old Dell 8200 laptop computer.

It was working fine until two days ago. After I had transfeed some files and photos off the Dell. I closed the system down in order
check the CD key for Windows XP Home edition w/SP2 that came with it, as I was gonna do a fresh install of Windows XP Home.

But when I rebooted I got an error message telling me that there was no High Speed USB host controllers installed on this computer.

When I opened "My Computer" in Windows all the other drives were there, but the external 250GB WD drive wasn't, (even though it shows up in Device Manager, but not in the BIOs), so I couldn't get access to the drive.

So my next thought was maybe the cable was bad, but after switching to a new one I got the same error message, so I connected the external drive
to my desktop that has Windows XP Pro W/SP 2 as the OS, and got the same god damn message.

I gotten the same message when I plugged in my 250MB USB Lexar Jump Drive also, but it was recognized by Windows and I was able to use it.

I have check the Universal Plug &Play feature in System Services, and used the Windows Disk Management utility to try and get
the drive to show up, but nothing works.

I have used this external drive on both these systems in the past for backup and I have never gotten that error message before, and am at a complete lost
as what to do next.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix this problem I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

My desktop has the following configuration:
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI DELUXE 1.XX
2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
2GB Crucial SDRAM DDR400 (PC 3200)
WDC WD2500JS-22MHB0 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCANK1698000, rev 02.01C03, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD3200AAKS-00SBA0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 1
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT [Display adapter]
LITE-ON DVD SHD-16P1S [CD-ROM drive]
LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H [CD-ROM drive]

The Dell laptop:
Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2
Mobile CPU Pentium 4 1.7Ghz
512MB DDR SDRAM
Hitachi 40GB HDD

P

peter

Try connecting it via a SATA cable to the mobo SATA connector.......check to see if the BIOS sees it.
If the BIOS sees it ..start XP and see if it is now accesible.
It could very well be the inernal connectors on the enclosure..
peter
About a year ago I bought a new WD Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
and put in a Penguin Gear USB/SATA external enclosure to use as a backup drive for both my desktop AMD Athlon 64 and

It was working fine until two days ago. After I had transfeed some files and photos off the Dell. I closed the system down in order
check the CD key for Windows XP Home edition w/SP2 that came with it, as I was gonna do a fresh install of Windows XP Home.

But when I rebooted I got an error message telling me that there was no High Speed USB host controllers installed on this computer.

When I opened "My Computer" in Windows all the other drives were there, but the external 250GB WD drive wasn't, (even though it shows up in Device Manager, but not in the BIOs), so I couldn't get access to the drive.

So my next thought was maybe the cable was bad, but after switching to a new one I got the same error message, so I connected the external drive
to my desktop that has Windows XP Pro W/SP 2 as the OS, and got the same god damn message.

I gotten the same message when I plugged in my 250MB USB Lexar Jump Drive also, but it was recognized by Windows and I was able to use it.

I have check the Universal Plug &Play feature in System Services, and used the Windows Disk Management utility to try and get

I have used this external drive on both these systems in the past for backup and I have never gotten that error message before, and am at a complete lost
as what to do next.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix this problem I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

WDC WD2500JS-22MHB0 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCANK1698000, rev 02.01C03, SMART Status: Healthy

The Dell laptop:
512MB DDR SDRAM
Hitachi 40GB HDD

J

John Lettiere

Try connecting it via a SATA cable to the mobo SATA connector.......check to see if the BIOS sees it.
peter

Thanks Peter.

As it turns out the hard drive is fine, but the enclosure is bad, the USB connector crapped out.

I took it apart, put back together and I hooked it up to a new Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista home Premium.

It worked for about twenty minutes, just long enough for me to copy some files off the Toshiba and then the external drive started to appear and then disappear
in Windows, you could hear it connect then disconnect from the system every few minutes.

So the upshot is I ordered a new Rosewill USB/eSATA enclosure, so that should solve my problem.

Thanks again for the help, it was much appreciated.

--
JL

If it can't be done in bed, it ain't worth doing.........Dave Van Ronk.
--
peter

as what to do next.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

The Dell laptop:
512MB DDR SDRAM
Hitachi 40GB HDD

Ask a Question