moved up 125 place in the ranking

CONGRATULATIONS

Stats are at 6s & 7s due to the entry of a new team
normal service will resume as soon as possible

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well done guys and gals! :thumb:

Some advice please, Do you think its worth me changing over to BOINC? I been reading a bit about it and it deffo seems to make an improvment on the scores......

Would it be worth while?

Reaction score
My scores are not great recently, due to the problems i've been having with the pc, lets hope i can get a new one sorted soon.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
kingnathski88 said:
My scores are not great recently, due to the problems i've been having with the pc, lets hope i can get a new one sorted soon.
Any score is better than no score :) I'm sure you'll be climbing high again in no time :D

Reaction score
yeah, if it scores better than my current thingy-ma-jiggy i wouldnt mind having it :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I would wait for Ady's "evaluation" of Boinc on Windows. ;)

As a Linux user I have no choice ... and it is the crappiest 'program' I have ever had the misfortune to meet ... that is, Boinc for Linux.

:D

Reaction score
Well it seems to be working... it's running a job... wants to run 2 at the same time though because of the HT so i had to manually suspend one...

I'll let you know if the results and all that jazz work.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No, just run one or the other. If you got a dual core cpu you can run 2 at a time, with 1 on each core i think.

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I would wait for Ady's "evaluation" of Boinc on Windows. ;)

As a Linux user I have no choice ... and it is the crappiest 'program' I have ever had the misfortune to meet ... that is, Boinc for Linux.

:D
Fortunately Boinc for Windows is a lot more user friendly than Boinc for Linux, and does take a bit more effort to set it up correctly.

As it seems we are all chomping at the bit here to boost are scores, rather than waiting for me to get out a thread of all the options/tweaks - I will recommend now that all Crunchers with machines running Windows with a CPU over 2GHz (ie Athlon XP 2000+) should immediately go over to the Boinc for Windows Client.

There is a good guide to downloading/installing HERE together with some FAQs, which although Unofficial, has been written by one of the WCG Community Admins.

There is another useful guide HERE.

For those who want to optimise further, there is a site HERE that produces optimised versions for use with certain processors/OS (Be careful, and don't do it if you don't know what your doing!)

You do not need to uninstall the old WCG Agent, but you must not run it at the same time - i.e stop it and delete it from your startup folder.
However if you are going to commit yourself, I would remove it personally - just make sure you wait until the current WU has finished!

If you are not confident in your ability to make the changes, then don't - stick with the WCG Grid Agent;)

As Chris has pointed out, the default profile for Boinc has Multi-Processor usage activated - if you do not have a Real Dual Core CPU such as a AMD64 X2 or Pentium D then go to My Grid>Device Manager>Device Profiles at your WCG page and adjust the default boinc profile under MultiProcessor to 1 - it will then update your program on the next upload. In the meantime as Chris has done just manually suspend one.

I apologize for this incomplete and cobbled together post - I hadn't intended to give this out as yet - but as your all so eager...:D

:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
kingnathski88 said:
can i run my current one along side the boinc thing?
NO!

Only on an AMD x2 CPU ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Right! Thanks for the notice Ady, :)

I was reading the Wiki page today at work. its a page i would say that everyone here thinking of using BONIC has a good look at. :thumb:

I was 99% sure i'd make the swap when this WU finished, after just reading your post i'm 100% sure, cant wait for this one to finish! (60% after 3hours 41minutes)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
Right! Thanks for the notice Ady, :)

I was reading the Wiki page today at work. its a page i would say that everyone here thinking of using BONIC has a good look at. :thumb:

I was 99% sure i'd make the swap when this WU finished, after just reading your post i'm 100% sure, cant wait for this one to finish! (60% after 3hours 41minutes)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Yep that Wiki page is good - its the one I refered to in my post as 'another useful guide'

Please folks do not ask any more questions here - there will be a sticky thread started in a few minutes where we can all go to for info/questions.

:thumb:

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
On another note, i've just been 'analyzing' the stats, and i notice we should be on for our best day of results since mucks started the team on the 12/11! :thumb:

Just need a few more results! ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am back people, been ill and the noise of the computer irritated me so i turned it off, just got it turned back on, thus why my points have stood still for the past week or so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question