WCG Stats Tues 10th Jan 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
By putting the hard drive space up to 10GB what does it actually do and does it affect your pc? Does it actaully use any HD space?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have it set at 2GB at the moment.
Setting it to 10.0 will have NO adverse affect on your PC but WILL improve your score.

:thumb:

Reaction score
So why does it give you the option then? Surely everyone would put it to 10 anyway?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thats what they do! :p

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Setting it to 10.0 will have NO adverse affect on your PC but WILL improve your score.

'tis true - the WCG Grid Agent uses processor speed, amount of RAM and HD space as a benchmark (Network speed is the same for everyone - 100)
Around 1.25+GB of RAM will give you its maximum benchmark, and setting the Storage to 10GB will also give you its maximum - the processor obviously varies, the faster the processor, the higher the benchmark.

All these benchmarks are added up and factored against a benchmark machine to give you your Overall Performance Score - the higher the score, the more points you get per hour of run-time.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
So why does it give you the option then? Surely everyone would put it to 10 anyway?
Yep ... even on a 6gig HD ;)

Stuart, as your captain ... just do it. :D

Reaction score
I changed it to 10GB by going to the site, will that work?

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep, the next time you return a result and downlaad a new one. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
I feel a big points total in the coming days ;)
Its not going to make THAT much difference Stuart! - out of interest what are your other specs?

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Its not going to make THAT much difference Stuart! - out of interest what are your other specs?

True, but im gonna be leaving the pc on longer :thumb:

AMD 64 3200 2.02GHZ, 1024MB RAM

Is that what you wanted?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
True, but im gonna be leaving the pc on longer :thumb:

AMD 64 3200 2.02GHZ, 1024MB RAM

Is that what you wanted?
Yep, leaving it running longer is the best way to gain more points:thumb:

With your spec it may be worth going over to the Boinc for Windows software instead as it benchmarks CPU speed only, and gives certain advantages to faster processors.
Don't think about this yet, just carry on as you are now, and I will be putting out a thread soon with possible tweaks/improvements for different makes/types of CPU's.

:)

Reaction score
What are your specs? Mine are good arent they? For the processor at the moment its giving me 200 compared to the 100 the comparison device has. Also memory is 267 compared to 100.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I will be putting out a thread soon with possible tweaks/improvements for different makes/types of CPU's.
Sweet, I'll be looking forward to that Mr Webb!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
What are your specs? Mine are good arent they? For the processor at the moment its giving me 200 compared to the 100 the comparison device has. Also memory is 267 compared to 100.
My main PC (I have 6 running) is a AMD64 X2 3800+ with 2GB RAM. It gives me 202 for the CPU and the 300 max for RAM

The big difference for me is the dual-core chip - I can run two WU's at once using a software tweak. Instead of around 900-1000 points a day, I can get around 1500-1600 out of it:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not just linux but windows too.....

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Erm, sorry what is Boinc?
Boinc (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) is a software platform for developing public-participation distributed computing projects ie WCG.

The software differs from the WCG Grid Agent in many ways, for instance it can be used to participate in numerous volunteer computing projects, not just WCG.
The official WCG software can only be used for the WCG project which we participate in, and is the only one that is officially supported for use with Windows OS. However Linux /Mac users cannot use the WCG software, so use Boinc instead.
There is a Boinc for Windows available as well, which although not officially supported by WCG, allows you to participate in it.

Boinc uses different methods of benchmarking/calculating points etc than WCG and is a bit more complicated to use, especially for Linux users (I should know;) ) but it does also have its advantages for certain types of CPU.

I'm not going to go into it all here, there will be a thread in Crunchers Corner soon giving a guide as to the best format to go for for maximum performance

Have a look HERE at the Boinc Homepage for further info:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question