Water-cooling. In general.

Reaction score
Have been thinkin about investing in watercooling, but the way I see it, the temperature of the water is still connected to how hot it is in the room. The water is cooled by fans that use the same air as a normal heatsink and fan would.

SO:

Is it viable to put the radiator from a watercooling setup in a small fridge? It would more-or-less be silent (no fans needed) and the air temperature would be more stable, and even if it did rise on a hot day, it would still be better than a fan setup. Condensation (as far as I can see) wouldnt matter either, because the condensation would be kept in the fridge/ on the radiator, away from the CPU/ any electrical bits.

Any thoughts?

P.S. If this would workl, then a cheap watercooling system with a decent radiator would be the bomb, right?

Kenny.

P.P.S. Ive never even seen a watercooling system in front of me, so if this is poo, its because i`m naive. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've no great experience of water cooling systems, but I do know the water in any cooling system is constantly flowing, just like in a car cooling system.

I reckon the water wouldn't be in the fridge long enough for it to be cooled efficiently although the fridge would help a little.

Dunno really though.

Reaction score
Kenny said:
Have been thinkin about investing in watercooling, but the way I see it, the temperature of the water is still connected to how hot it is in the room. The water is cooled by fans that use the same air as a normal heatsink and fan would.

SO:

Is it viable to put the radiator from a watercooling setup in a small fridge? It would more-or-less be silent (no fans needed) and the air temperature would be more stable, and even if it did rise on a hot day, it would still be better than a fan setup. Condensation (as far as I can see) wouldnt matter either, because the condensation would be kept in the fridge/ on the radiator, away from the CPU/ any electrical bits.

Any thoughts?

P.S. If this would workl, then a cheap watercooling system with a decent radiator would be the bomb, right?

Kenny.

P.P.S. Ive never even seen a watercooling system in front of me, so if this is poo, its because i`m naive. :)

A fridge is designed so that you put a warm object in it, and it slowly cools it down and then keeps it cool (about 3dC). It is not designed to cope with that object continually producing heat within it.

In short, you'd probably be better off with no fans at all than putting the rad in a fridge.

Reaction score
Wait wait wait.... then whats the point of fans over the radiator in a watercooling system if the waters moving too fast to be cooled? :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kenny: The water isn't moving too fast to be cooled. A fan does cool water flowing past it.The water doesn't rush through either, it kinda zig-zags.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The fans keep the radiator grill cool (which doesnt move), which in turn keeps the water cool.

Reaction score
a fridge will create more heat that it would cool!

thus being a total waste of time!

nice idea, although i think we've been through this before, several times. :0

Ask a Question