warning, could not connect to the internet - microsoft antispyware beta 1

Reaction score
i can't get any new definitions for microsoft antispyware beta 1.

whenever i try i get: "warning, could not connect to the internet!"

i tried changing firewall settings, etc etc etc.

my internet explorer works fine. i tend to use firefox and opera, because it's less of a security threat.

ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS???

Reaction score
Same trouble here for two days now. Because of the number of people having the same problem the fault must be with the Microsoft server. Surely they could put out a message to put us all at ease.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
it was working fine yesterday and i've just got the same error, so it must be their end

Reaction score
Sheesh

you know, after criticism, microsoft is supposed to be taking a change in direction, to prove they care about security with their products.

all i can say is -- HA HA HA -- the joke's on us MS users.

i googled, and there are ALOT of people posting about it, how they can't update the microsoft antispyware beta 1 app.

I ALREADY had to stop using internet explorer -- TOO MANY VIRUSES got thru. (now i use firefox and opera)

this keeps up, i'm going to go to LINUX.

MICROSOFT SHOULD AT LEAST POST ABOUT THIS PROBLEM. even if it's not their doing, too many users are having it to ignore ALL OF US.

i've never had this problem with adaware, bazooka, highjackthis or spyware blaster.

i guess microsoft just doesn't have the resources to keep up with those other major companies (HEE HEE HEE) ...that's an angry laugh, by the way

Reaction score
Ps

PS, rein & Me__2001 --
mine was working fine too -- until about 2 or 3 days ago

Reaction score
IT WORKS!
YIPEEEE!
(it was DEFINITELY on their end -- since we ALL noticed it)
-- thanks for letting me know...

Reaction score
i had the same problem about that time, and I thought it was from my end, even though my e-mail was working i couldn't connect to the internet via the internet explorer. I basically had to restore my computer a couple of times from September thinking i had a virus, but maybe it's because of this problem. It is working fine now, but i am not happy with internet explorer either. I had to download new anti-virus software like adware as well as having mcafee (but i'm not sure about mcafee).

Glad i looked into this forum, only wish i looked earlier.

sole x

Reaction score
babyoh said:
IT WORKS!
YIPEEEE!
(it was DEFINITELY on their end -- since we ALL noticed it)
-- thanks for letting me know...

Why use it now if MS antispyware did not have the decency to advertise the fact there WAS a problem, tell them to st##f it and don’t use it again That’s why I don’t they are absolute crap! MS antispyware that is?:eek:

Reaction score
i think your right, how the hell do i get off microsoft spyware then ? These guys are def. taking the **** when it comes to protecting your computer i've had more problems with mcafee and the likes and even AOL have been installed in my computer without my authority, i hate AOL and yahoo. I've now got a Yahoo tool bar which i didn't ask for.

Rant over

sole x

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I thought MSAS was Giant Anti-spyware, just rebranded with the Microsoft name on it? Didn't MS buy Giant?
If you look in the task manager when its running you will see The task names are Giant...... (I dont know exactly what)

AFAIK Giant were one of the best in the bisiness. :)

Reaction score
Well just my two pennies worth...for what it's worth :)

I used to be a regular over at a Spyware Forum (very good it was too!) and from my time there i found out that there are quite a few "experts" (and no that's not an understatement) on Spyware / Malware / HJT logs etc, the information & fixes they know is astounding. Anyhow, MS Anti Spyware was definately not recommended by the experts as it failed to class some serious Malware AS Malware and was hence let through the gates.

If anybody is interested in the website, where they actually teach you how to analyase and fix HJT logs (properly!) just PM me (don't want to advertise another forum without permission!) and i'll see if i can dig out the address for you.

Mods: If it's ok to post the address please say and i will post it.

Reaction score
GIANT -- Yes, it IS related to Giant.

i thought i had ANOTHER infection -- cuz i didn't recognize the GIANT name ( i found it under ALLOWED apps in my firewall settings, and I'D never put it there)

anyway, i researched and found it it was microsoft's dealie.

what's "AFAIK"? -- were you kidding when you said it's a good app?

the BOTTOM LINE to all this, is that we MUST run about a half-dozen apps to check for malware.

i CONSTANTLY have things show up in one app that WON'T show in any others.

kinda sucks when you think about it. that there isn't ONE comprehensive security tool...

Reaction score
ps

YES -- the hijackThis app and logfile are WONDERFUL. you find ALL THINGS of garbage you never knew you had (if you can analyze the log properly)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
babyoh said:
what's "AFAIK"? -- were you kidding when you said it's a good app?
As Far As I Know. No i was not kidding.

the BOTTOM LINE to all this, is that we MUST run about a half-dozen apps to check for malware.
True, thats why i run that, Spysweeper, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Ad-aware. Not that Ad-aware ever finds anything......

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Giant AntiSpyware was one of the best if not the best ... that was, untill MS bought them out. Now who knows?

Read my article ;)

Ask a Question